Any idea why my test recording is crackling?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Singout

Post by Singout »

Hi, everyone,

I've done several first-time test recordings now. In my latest ones there's been a loud crackling noise that starts a few seconds in.

My computer (MacbookAir) doesn't have a strong enough built-in mic so I borrowed headphones with a built-in mic (mpow PA071A ) from a neighbour. I really don't want to buy my own if these are fine and I'm just doing something incorrectly. The test reading I did a few weeks ago with those headphones didn't have any crackling, but the three I tried tonight have.

I'm using mono, the correct setting on Audacity for the headphones, .29 recording volume on Audacity, 44100 project rate, 16-bit sample format. My mic has no volume amplifier (just for listening). Would something else cause this?

Please respond in very simple clear language as I am new to this!

Thanks!

Sarah
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hi Sarah! Would it be possible to also upload a sample recording to hear the kind of crackling you're dealing with?
You can upload it the same way as your test recording. Thanks!
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

One thing to check and rule out in the meantime: make sure the end of the cable of your headset (jack or usb), and the port (where the cable goes in your computer) are clear of any dust etc.
Then check if you still get the crackling and if so, upload and post a sample recording here.
Singout

Post by Singout »

Thanks! I'll do that later today or tomorrow. I tried the same headset on QuickTime and it was fine.
Singout

Post by Singout »

Thanks again: here are two recordings in two formats:
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/EmilyClimbstest_4.wav
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/Emily_Climbs_test_4.mp3

I made sure the jacks were clean. I also didn't get a problem when I recorded using QuickTime (can we use Quicktime for Librivox)?

Sarah
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Since it works well in other programs but has a problem in Audacity, my only guess is that as Audacity takes up more resources to work (computer memory), if it doesn't have enough then the sound quality suffers. That's just a guess. If it's true, you could try running Audacity with no other programs running at the same time.

But if QuickTime gives you an mp3 with the required tech specs, and allows you to edit your recordings (delete repeats, add missed sentences, replaces wrong phrases, adjust volume, etc) then yes, you can use it instead. Or maybe if you record in QuickTime, and then edit in Audacity to export to the needed tech specs, that might also work, though it would need testing to check that it doesn't spoil the sound in the process.