Pronunciation...ugh

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
ArthurTrinchera

Post by ArthurTrinchera »

I've been looking for something to read for hours and haven't been able to find anything that isn't a pronunciation nightmare!
I found the thread about pronunciation and the librivox wiki section on pronunciation that is amazing.
I'm particularly struggling with names that are either ancient and in other languages.
Many of the readings are quite cumbersome due to the old language. I'm not complaining just realizing how much I have to learn and how illiterate I actually am. :shock:
Any tips and advice would be appreciated:)
Arthur
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

ArthurTrinchera wrote: March 12th, 2021, 4:52 pm I've been looking for something to read for hours and haven't been able to find anything that isn't a pronunciation nightmare!
I found the thread about pronunciation and the librivox wiki section on pronunciation that is amazing.
I'm particularly struggling with names that are either ancient and in other languages.
Many of the readings are quite cumbersome due to the old language. I'm not complaining just realizing how much I have to learn and how illiterate I actually am. :shock:
Any tips and advice would be appreciated:)
Arthur
I replied to you in the pronunciation thread. :)

Don't feel bad. Many of us are surprised to learn what a different experience reading aloud is, as opposed to reading silently, when you can pronounce everything any way you want, inside your own head! :lol:

Keep asking questions and take your time. Also remember that if the thing you're attempting to pronounce is old enough and/or unusual enough, nobody else knows how to say it, either! :wink:
schrm

Post by schrm »

maybe look out for projects, which are "liberal" in that matter.

eg, viewtopic.php?p=1658870#p1658870 is one of my own, and it is a translation from german.
but i wrote at the beginning of the first post:
in short: please, everyone wih english skills is able to read lay down your arms!
(there is no duty involved,to even follow the link or claim something - just as a hint, that many bc know this problem very well. indeed, pronunciation of names falls under interpretation of the artist=reader for most of us!)
:D

thank you for taking care - and please, don't feel frustrated by your own expectations. instead: feel ambitioned! :clap:
:D

(another example is me myself with a section in my goethe project: i have to read lists of ancient greek names in english - while i have doubts about the pronunciation of the german versions of these names..well, i am sure i will try to get some results :lol: )
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275