Magic Window

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
ArthurTrinchera

Post by ArthurTrinchera »

Hey everyone or anyone!

I just got my test approved and ready to read...something.
I see the suggestions for poetry or short stories which I'm in agreement with as I came hear just to practice before trying to audition for anything.
My question is I see things open for read and the "magic window" shows what's been read and then slots that say "open" but there's nothing in there to claim.
what am I missing? I'm looking for short stories or other nonfiction that aren't too dialogue heavy at first. Also to possibly help in the march cleanup and finish thing.
Just want to get my feet wet but having trouble where to start.
Thank you for any input.
Arthur
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Hi Arthur! Welcome to LibriVox.

I believe that in the short story/poetry projects, volunteers contribute their own short stories (not stuff they've written or anything, just readings of public domain texts they'd like to add.) That's why you see sections already completed by readers, but open slots without any specific text- those open slots are for more volunteers to add to the collection. Does that make sense?

I could be wrong, I actually haven't done any of the short story/poetry collections before. Admins/more experienced volunteers correct me if I'm wrong.

If you're looking for something already existing in the Magic Window to read, Arthur, try one of the other forums- you'll find that there are existing sections to claim there. But it's totally understandable that you'd want to start off small at first, and the short works forum is a great choice. :wink:
~ πš˜πš— πš‘πš’πšŠπšπšžπšœ ~
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

JayKitty is right.

Many of the projects in the Short Works forum are collections, for which readers choose texts to record and submit. (Often these have "Collection" in the thread title, but not always.)

Other projects in there are pre-selected collections of short works.

Example: this one has open spots of chapters to read: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=84397

The Weekly and Fortnightly Poetry have a pre-selected poem that each reader records their version.

Hope this helps! Ask if you have further questions.

P.S. If you want to help with the March cleanup, there's one poem open in the Irish Poetry project, here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=77153 First come, first served! A list of other March Cleanup projects are posted in the thread linked in my signature. Check out the list, click on the links of any that may interest you, and claim (or not) from there. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
ArthurTrinchera

Thanks TriciaG and Jaykitty for your swift reply!

Yes, both answers make sense. The poem of the week looked like it was written for a female specifically, according to the pronouns.

So the 'collections aren't already collections as in a published collection of poems or stories. they are literally collections made by readers here. That does clarify for me.

This might be a dumb question but do the Irish poems need to be read with an accent? I'm guessing no but thought I should ask.
Thank you TriciaG for the links and recommendations!
A
ArthurTrinchera

TriciaG,
I see the open poem, "The Tryst after Death" but still don't see how to link to it and claim it from the magic Window. :?
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

ArthurTrinchera wrote: ↑March 11th, 2021, 9:27 pm TriciaG,
I see the open poem, "The Tryst after Death" but still don't see how to link to it and claim it from the magic Window. :?
You can't. You don't have access to the MW (magic window). Just post in the thread, saying that you want to read it, and the BC (book coordinator) will assign it to you.

And as to your question on accents, no, we don't tell our readers that they must or should have a specific accent to read for anything. Still less do we ask anyone to attempt an assumed accent. Some people choose to, of course, and they're free to do so. But it's a personal choice in that case.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Good practise is to read the first post in projects you are interested in, especially the bit above the MW. It should have the information you need.

Anne
ArthurTrinchera

Thanks you so much!
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

ArthurTrinchera wrote: ↑March 11th, 2021, 9:21 pm The poem of the week looked like it was written for a female specifically, according to the pronouns.
Just FYI, we don't require gender specific renditions. Often in plays or dramatic readings (DRs) male roles are read by females and (less often) vice versa. So don't let that stop you if you see a poem you'd like to read!
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam - Popeye, the sailor man
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - Neil Peart
ArthurTrinchera

Thank you for the clarification! :)