Headset with good quality headphones?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

This is another "advice about choosing a headset" post, but I specifically wanted to ask about headsets with good sound quality for the headphones. I use a Logitech headset (I'm not sure which model), and the microphone works well enough, though I'm eventually going to look into something higher quality.

The problem is that I've figured out that the sound quality when I listen to things I'm editing is not great. My current editing process involves listening to a recording without headphones because that way I hear so many more things that I need to edit out (mostly mouth sounds) that I don't hear with the headphones. Then I do the actual editing with headphones on. Then I go back to step 1 and can be performing an iterative process for quite a while! It would greatly simplify my life if I could cut out step 1.

Logitech headsets seem to be a popular as well as economical choice, but I'm hesitant to invest in another one, given my experience. Then again, my current headset is almost a decade old, so maybe the technology has improved in the meantime. Can anyone recommend any that they've had a good experience with in terms of sound quality?
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

I can't offer any suggestions for a headset (mic/headphone combo), but you will want to avoid noise-cancelling headphones for audio editing.
Jo
k5hsj

Post by k5hsj »

If you're looking for a set of headphones without the mic, this thread from a few years ago might be helpful.
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=54056&p=1058648&hilit=headphones#p1058648

Winston
Be kind. Be interesting. Be useful. Morality ain't hard.--Jack Butler, Living in Little Rock with Miss Little Rock
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Thank you, Jo and Winston! That thread has given me some good leads.
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah