1 little question of a PL newbie)

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
HandmadePSK

Post by HandmadePSK »

Hulloa! πŸ‘

I`m learning this and cannot understand why its author in his PL notes recommend to 5 sec of silence ONLY to the end of Sec 3 and not to the other two?

Thanx! 🧑
Alexander ❀ HandmadePSK ❀ About me β—€β—€β—€ (readable)
πŸ¦‹ Aspire to inspire before we expire! πŸ¦„
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I haven't listened to them, but do the other 2 sections already have 5 seconds of silence at the end? If so, they don't need to be told to add it.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

I just looked at them, and I'll try to explain.

So these three sections are small samples of a recording. They are not full recordings. Section 1 is a sample from the beginning of a recording. The 5 second rule doesn't apply here because in reality, the remainder of the chapter would follow after this sample. Same for Section 2. It is a quote in the middle of a chapter. The rest of the chapter would follow in a real recording. For Section 3, that is a sample from the end of a recording. Because it is the end of a recording, it needs 5 seconds of silence.

I hope that was not too confusing (I can confuse myself when trying to explain things sometimes). Let me know if I need to explain in a different way!
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
HandmadePSK

Post by HandmadePSK »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: ↑March 1st, 2021, 4:49 pm I just looked at them, and I'll try to explain.

So these three sections are small samples of a recording. They are not full recordings. Section 1 is a sample from the beginning of a recording. The 5 second rule doesn't apply here because in reality, the remainder of the chapter would follow after this sample. Same for Section 2. It is a quote in the middle of a chapter. The rest of the chapter would follow in a real recording. For Section 3, that is a sample from the end of a recording. Because it is the end of a recording, it needs 5 seconds of silence.

I hope that was not too confusing (I can confuse myself when trying to explain things sometimes). Let me know if I need to explain in a different way!
You explain it very well, thank you! I was supposing sth of that kind indeed but wasn`t sure.
Farewell! πŸ’š
HandmadePSK

Post by HandmadePSK »

TriciaG wrote: ↑March 1st, 2021, 4:29 pm I haven't listened to them, but do the other 2 sections already have 5 seconds of silence at the end? If so, they don't need to be told to add it.
🌼
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Ha! Well, that's what I get for answering without actually listening to them myself! :lol:
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart