checking public domain books and duplicated documents

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
pot36

Post by pot36 »

Hello, I have a couple of questions :

1- Books which are in public domain in other countries for example Canada, are they acceptable ?
I want to check especially theses tow collected short stories by Aldous Huxley : "Brief candles" and "Mortal coils"

2- In order not to duplicate a book and to check if the is is already recorded, is searching through librivox catalogue sufficient ?
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

All books we use need to be PD in the USA - because that is where the audio files are stored and distributed from. Canada has different rules.
Anything Huxley wrote 1925 or earlier could be used.

Anne
Mortal Coils was published 1922 so is PD.
Brief Candles in 1930 so not for 5 years
pot36

Post by pot36 »

Much appreciated your quick answer !

The second question please ?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

2- In order not to duplicate a book and to check if the is is already recorded, is searching through librivox catalogue sufficient ?
(1) We allow multiple versions of books, so it's your personal choice on whether or not you record something that has already been done.

(2) Yes, searching through the LV catalog is sufficient if you want to see if something's been done. Or you can ask for help, if you want to do a deeper search. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

This is an overkill, but when I really want to know if something is in the catalogue, I search the catalogue by title, then if nothing comes up, I search by author to check the titles that are linked to them. If still nothing comes up, I also do a forum search 'title author' to see if it was ever mentioned in the forum :mrgreen:
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Rapunzelina wrote: February 27th, 2021, 9:03 am This is an overkill, but when I really want to know if something is in the catalogue, I search the catalogue by title, then if nothing comes up, I search by author to check the titles that are linked to them. If still nothing comes up, I also do a forum search 'title author' to see if it was ever mentioned in the forum :mrgreen:
Good advice. I do the first two.

Haahaha! The third is rather remarkable. And admirable.
pot36

Post by pot36 »

TriciaG wrote: February 27th, 2021, 8:05 am
(1) We allow multiple versions of books, so it's your personal choice on whether or not you record something that has already been done.

(2) Yes, searching through the LV catalog is sufficient if you want to see if something's been done. Or you can ask for help, if you want to do a deeper search. :)
Thanks for the clarifications.
pot36

Post by pot36 »

Rapunzelina wrote: February 27th, 2021, 9:03 am This is an overkill, but when I really want to know if something is in the catalogue, I search the catalogue by title, then if nothing comes up, I search by author to check the titles that are linked to them. If still nothing comes up, I also do a forum search 'title author' to see if it was ever mentioned in the forum :mrgreen:
This is also useful. Thanks.