rules regarding translations

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Tchaikovsky

Post by Tchaikovsky »

Hello,
I have been thinking about creating my own translation of a work that is in the public domain but doesn't appear to have ever been translated into English. If I were to create my own translation of it for an eventual Librivox recording are there any rules about it? I would rather know before I undertake that much work.

Thanks
Tchaikovsky
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

We record works that have been traditionally published and are out of copyright.

So in general, no - a self-published (or unpublished) translation would not be accepted at LV. However, if you wanted, you could record it and upload the files to Archive.org yourself. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Tchaikovsky

Post by Tchaikovsky »

TriciaG wrote: February 21st, 2021, 3:47 pm We record works that have been traditionally published and are out of copyright.

So in general, no - a self-published (or unpublished) translation would not be accepted at LV. However, if you wanted, you could record it and upload the files to Archive.org yourself. :)
So I was thinking of creating a translation of an 18th century French play. If I choose to not copyright my translation would this be acceptable for a cast to record? It seems people do this for dramatic readings of books.

Tchaikovsky.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

No, because it's not traditionally published. It would be no different than you writing your own play or book.

Dramatic readings use the original text, so there's no conflict.
Tchaikovsky

Post by Tchaikovsky »

TriciaG wrote: February 21st, 2021, 4:09 pm No, because it's not traditionally published. It would be no different than you writing your own play or book.

Dramatic readings use the original text, so there's no conflict.
Ah I see...Ok so it could done on archive.org. Would the administrators allow me to assemble a cast and recordings through Librivox on the understanding of everyone concerned that the completed project would be uploaded only on the other site?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

No. That would be putting all the work into a project, only to not reap the rewards. :)

Such projects are not run at LV. I suppose you could invite readers from here, but all the work and communication would be done off site.
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

We've occasionally had requests for readers for non-LibriVox projects on the forum, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I sometimes wonder when some of rules became so set in stone.
Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
Tchaikovsky

Post by Tchaikovsky »

Peter Why wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 2:55 am We've occasionally had requests for readers for non-LibriVox projects on the forum, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I sometimes wonder when some of rules became so set in stone.
Peter
Thanks for your reply Peter it gives me a bit of hope that it could be acheived with some extra work on my part.

Tchaikovsy.
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

I knew I'd seen something about it, but it took a moment to find this in the heading of the Off Topic sub-forum: "Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects"

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger