Placement of the Book’s Dedication

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
rachelmayferriman

Post by rachelmayferriman » February 20th, 2021, 7:53 am

Could you tell me please, in which section I should record the book’s dedication? Should it perhaps have a section of its own, called ‘Dedication’ before the ‘Introduction’?

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » February 20th, 2021, 8:36 am

I would say this depends on the book. It is possible to add a "Section 0," for prefatory material. But if it's only a few sentences, it wouldn't make sense to me to do that. Just tack it onto the beginning of section 1.

If this is for a group project, it's the BC's decision, and you should ask them. If it's a project you're considering as a solo, it would be up to you. But you're welcome to share the book here if you want opinions.

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo » February 20th, 2021, 9:53 am

It could also be omitted. Forewords, dedications, footnotes, appendices, etc. that are not part of the main text can be included (or not) at the soloist's or BC's discretion.
Jo
My Librivox Solos
Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill. - Barbara Tuchman

rachelmayferriman

Post by rachelmayferriman » February 22nd, 2021, 11:27 am

Thank you for your advice about this. I will read it before her Prefatory note. The book ‘Thoughts on South Africa’ by Olive Schreiner - my first solo project. She died in the neighbourhood I now live in ...