BE NECESSARY FOR ME. COULD I DO PROFESSIONAL
DEMOS AND SEND TO YOU INSTEAD.

THANK YOU,

KIND REGARDS

WINIFRED SMITH.

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » February 8th, 2021, 10:38 am

How much background noise do you have in your room? I don't have a sound proof room, either.

If you send a professional demo, the question is, would you be recording from that same environment?

I suggest sending in a test recording using whatever environment you're going to be recording from.

And keep in mind, we aren't professionals. We're not doing auditions; the test is simply to check your technical settings, and perhaps offer pointers on noise reduction, mic placement to limit plosives, etc. :)
We're MARCHing to the finish line! Join our project cleanup month initiative. Details HERE

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » February 8th, 2021, 11:19 am

Hi Winifred! It's not necessary to soundproof your room. Very few of us have a dedicated recording space that is soundproofed. We don't require professional quality here.

Sending in a sample is a great idea. We actually prefer that everyone does that when they're starting out, so that we can all be sure that the tech settings are right. But Tricia is right. You should do your test in the same environment and with the same equipment that you plan to use for your volunteer recordings. Read more about how to do that here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=1-Minute_Test

Winifred

Post by Winifred » February 15th, 2021, 8:18 am

Hello,

My name is Winifred, I am a new member. My home has noise coming in, and I am unable to
soundproof my room. Can I send you a professional demo instead.

Thank you,

Winifred.

JordanN

Post by JordanN » February 15th, 2021, 8:59 am

Hi Winifred,

The one-minute test is not an audition. We just want to make sure that contributors can meet Librivox standards before submitting longer recordings.

If you are planning to do your LV recordings at home, that is where you should record your one-minute test. If you are planning to do the recordings in a professional studio, as your demo was presumably recorded in, then you should do your test recording there instead.