Audacity LAME download?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
DonttellhimPike

Post by DonttellhimPike »

Hello,

I am trying to do my one-minute test but am having difficulties saving the file.
I have recorded using Audacity, that's fine. But when I come to save it as an MP3 file I run into trouble!
It recommended that I download LAME and I have done so but that doesn't seem to have solved it either.

Can anyone help at all please? Please remember you are advising a 57 year old who was born in the olden days :D
My knowledge of information technology could fit inside a matchbox.

Many thanks for any kind suggestions.

Nige
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

have you tried exporting not saving ? Its an option under the save etc
Anne
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Configuring the LAME encoder was one of the problems I also had at the beginning!

See if these instructions will help:
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Audacity_FAQ#How_do_I_get_the_LAME_MP3_encoder.3F
Check "How do I get the LAME MP3 encoder?" and "How do I configure Audacity to find and use the LAME encoder plug-in?"
I think it basically says how to tell Audacity to find where you saved the LAME file.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I thought that LAME was now included with the new versions of Audacity. :hmm: If you go to the Help menu at the top, and then "About Audacity," a box will pop up that'll show you the version you're using, such as "Audacity 2.3.3" Will you try this and tell us what version you have?
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

In the latest version of Audacity for Windows (v2.4.1) under Edit - Preferences - Library, you should see the following

LAME MP3 Export Library
MP3 Library version: LAME 3.100 (Built-in)

If you are not using the latest version, you might want to download and install it as it has improved features such as an improved noise reduction plugin for one.
Jo
DonttellhimPike

mightyfelix wrote: February 13th, 2021, 8:14 am I thought that LAME was now included with the new versions of Audacity. :hmm: If you go to the Help menu at the top, and then "About Audacity," a box will pop up that'll show you the version you're using, such as "Audacity 2.3.3" Will you try this and tell us what version you have?
Many thanks for your kind help, mightyfelix.
My Audacity version is 2.3.0.
Does this help
DonttellhimPike

annise wrote: February 13th, 2021, 2:57 am have you tried exporting not saving ? Its an option under the save etc
Anne
Thank you Anne, I will try this and let you know as soon as I can.
Thanks for your kind assistance.
DonttellhimPike

Rapunzelina wrote: February 13th, 2021, 7:56 am Configuring the LAME encoder was one of the problems I also had at the beginning!

See if these instructions will help:
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Audacity_FAQ#How_do_I_get_the_LAME_MP3_encoder.3F
Check "How do I get the LAME MP3 encoder?" and "How do I configure Audacity to find and use the LAME encoder plug-in?"
I think it basically says how to tell Audacity to find where you saved the LAME file.
Thank you Rapunzelina. I will check that out.
You are kind to help.
DonttellhimPike

knotyouraveragejo wrote: February 13th, 2021, 11:53 am In the latest version of Audacity for Windows (v2.4.1) under Edit - Preferences - Library, you should see the following

LAME MP3 Export Library
MP3 Library version: LAME 3.100 (Built-in)

If you are not using the latest version, you might want to download and install it as it has improved features such as an improved noise reduction plugin for one.
Thank you Jo, I will do my best to follow your advice.
Thanks for your kindness.
HandmadePSK

Post by HandmadePSK »

DonttellhimPike wrote: February 13th, 2021, 2:17 am My knowledge of information technology could fit inside a matchbox.
Not a bad knowledge, to tell the truth! 🤓
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/7vtMHwE-JE8/maxresdefault.jpg
Last edited by Rapunzelina on April 2nd, 2021, 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please don't embed unnecessary images. You may post just the links.
Alexander ❤ HandmadePSK ❤ About me ◀◀◀ (readable)
🦋 Aspire to inspire before we expire! 🦄