Newbi question about going solo

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
HeatherLaura22

Post by HeatherLaura22 »

Hello all,

I don't think I'd want to go solo till I get a bit more under my belt but I did have a question about it.

When making a new project it says to make sure that the work is in the Public Domain but it doesn't say anything about checking to see if it already is a LibriVox work.

Is it okay to make a different version of a book that has already been recorded for LibriVox or do we need to check the catalogue as well?

If there is an answer somewhere to this in the wiki or some FAQ please feel free to point me toward that. I looked around a bit and didn't see an exact answer to my question.

Thanks,
Heather
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Welcome!

If you do a search on "Pride and Prejudice" or "Anne of Green Gables", you may get your answer. ;)

We are good with multiple versions of books. We call it "choice of voice." And really, how fair is it to a new, spectacular reader to say, "well, we have this (ahem) mediocre reader who happened to do this book back in 2007, so you're out of luck"? :lol: (We wouldn't really say that, of course - we don't judge reader quality here.) ;)

We do like to see books that haven't been done yet, but there's nothing preventing someone from doing a version 2 (or 20) of a favorite.
School fiction: David Blaize
Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine