[solved] PL question: should I comment on breath noises?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

I'm looking to start proof listening. I read the Guide for Proof-listeners, and I understand that a PL should comment on skips, repeats, background noises, incomprehensible words, etc, and should not comment on reading style. What about breath noises between phrases--is it appropriate or inappropriate to mention these? Thanks.

Joanna
Last edited by JoannaHoyt on February 4th, 2021, 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Back from a low-internet no-Librivox year in Georgia. Glad to be with you again.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I say no - unless they're so loud, it sounds like an asthmatic rhinoceros. :lol: Even then I don't.

Breathing is natural. Sometimes I purposely ADD breath noises!
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

I agree, generally breath noises are not noted in standard PL. In my personal recordings, I remove some (so it doesn't sound like I am gasping for air after every other sentence), but I leave them where it sounds natural to take a breath. I do however generally significantly reduce the volume of breaths compared to the the rest of the recording. The listener wants to hear the story, not me breathing...

However, as Tricia said above, breathing in our recordings is normal. Along with pacing and emphasis, it's what distinguishes an actual person reading from a synthesized computer voice. :)
Jo
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

Thank you both very much! :clap: :clap: That was what I needed to know.

(I hadn't realized quite how loudly I breathed until I started recording for LibriVox. That's especially true at the end of a long sentence that didn't have an obvious breath-stop in it...)
Back from a low-internet no-Librivox year in Georgia. Glad to be with you again.