Missing heading in Gutenberg text

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

I'm reading from a text on Project Gutenberg that appears to go from Appendix S to Appendix U and miss out Appendix T. I found the same work on the Internet Archive (same edition), and I see that the text itself for Appendix T is in the Gutenberg version, but the "Appendix T" heading is missing.

Am I okay to treat the text as if the heading were there and add an Appendix T to the MW? If so, should I acknowledge the IA version in some way? Or do I need to switch the version that I'm reading from to the IA version? If so, is the possible copyright status of "not in copyright" in the info enough to guarantee that it's safe to use?

Thanks, and if I need to clarify anything, let me know!
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Am I okay to treat the text as if the heading were there and add an Appendix T to the MW? If so, should I acknowledge the IA version in some way? Or do I need to switch the version that I'm reading from to the IA version? If so, is the possible copyright status of "not in copyright" in the info enough to guarantee that it's safe to use?
Gutenberg has an error-reporting mechanism: http://gutenberg.org/help/errata.html

Yes, add the heading.

No need to acknowledge the IA version or switch to it; this was an error in the PG version that can be fixed. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Thank you!
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Scarbo wrote: January 18th, 2021, 6:16 am
A more general answer to the above for future reference

1. If there are errors/omissions in any gutenberg text, these can be corrected in your recording as long as you can find a scan of the same edition of the text as you have done in this instance.
2. The Not in Copyright status on the archive pages is entered by the person uploading the text so is not always reliable for LV purposes. We use the copyright date on the scan to confirm a book is PD in the U.S.
Jo
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

I'll keep those things in mind, thank you!

Sarah