Uploading A New Book

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
toadoftoadhall

Post by toadoftoadhall »

Dear Librivox team,

Pax Christi!

Hello, my name is Br. Jonas Houston, MSJB. I was a Librivox reader several years ago. I have not participated in any projects for several years due to my joining a religious community called the Missionaries of St. John the Baptist located in Kentucky.

I am now interested in doing Librivox books again. Specifically I would like to do a solo recording of the life of the founder of our community, Fr. Jean Baptiste Rauzan, written in the 19th century (it is in the public domain.) However, I only have a personal PDF of this file. Consequently, when I was filling out the Librivox New Project Template Generator, I was unable to provide a link for the book. Without a link to the book, the Project Generator was unable to save. What should I do to solve this problem?

Ad Jesum Per Mariam,

Br. Jonas Houston, MSJB
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

You say it's a PDF. Is it a facsimile (images) of the original book? Or is it all nicely typed and perhaps edited?

If it's rendered into nice text, it must clearly state what edition it's from. See here: viewtopic.php?p=1534179#p1534179

Could you upload it to something like Google Drive and post a link, so we could take a look at it? If it's acceptable, we can forego the text link altogether, but we do need to verify the PD-ness of your PDF. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

As for the project template generator, you should be able to put something like hard copy or local copy in the text link field, it just can't be left blank.
Jo
toadoftoadhall

Post by toadoftoadhall »

Here is a shared PDF of the file.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pLr6-kjko7BhuU3ptA6cFFFmJ1EndMkZ/view?usp=sharing

Could this be used for a Librivox recording?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I would say no. It doesn't state the edition's publication date anywhere that I could see.

This could have been taken from an edition published after 1925, which would still be under copyright.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

It looks like the original book in French is public domain:

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Vie_du_tr%C3%A8s_r%C3%A9v%C3%A9rend_p%C3%A8re_Jean_Bapti/HAlgAAAAcAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=0

The date of the translation would be the relevant one here, because that has a separate copyright.

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
toadoftoadhall

Post by toadoftoadhall »

If you have the original French, could I possibly use the original publication date so that we could record it on librivox?
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

If you are reading it in French - yes. Otherwise , no.

Anne