Advent readings, spoken carols

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Post Reply
KevinS
Posts: 9448
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » October 31st, 2020, 5:16 pm

I'd like to create a representation of the readings and carols used during Advent. In this case, those described by the Evangelical Lutheran Congregations from 1877. There would be 14 sections---Opening; epistle and Gospel and hymn for each of the four Sundays; and closing. What I would like to do is have fourteen (ideally) separate voices and edit them together into one service (of a kind.) The idea is something close to what many know as a Service of Lessons and Carols. This Evangelical Lutheran assemblage would, I think, be acceptable to most all Christian readers regardless of their specific faith tradition. The biblical texts will be from the King James Version. The hymns can be found here: https://archive.org/details/sundayschoolbook00gene_1/page/n3/mode/2up

Is this possible? I thought I would ask here to avoid any confusion in the launch pad or book suggestion threads.

This would be assembled like a one-act play, if that is an appropriate comparison.

What think you all? What think ye powers?
Sunday is a good PL day for me.

annise
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 33739
Joined: April 3rd, 2008, 3:55 am
Location: Melbourne,Australia

Post by annise » October 31st, 2020, 6:12 pm

never mind - I read your heading - yes it would be OK - especially maybe in this time of "lockdowns" everywhere.

KevinS
Posts: 9448
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » October 31st, 2020, 6:31 pm

annise wrote:
October 31st, 2020, 6:12 pm
never mind - I read your heading - yes it would be OK - especially maybe in this time of "lockdowns" everywhere.
Thank you!

Yes, I think the lockdowns are going to get stronger in their scope.
Sunday is a good PL day for me.

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 6757
Joined: August 7th, 2016, 6:39 pm

Post by mightyfelix » October 31st, 2020, 8:14 pm

We could probably organize it in the Christmas short works collection, unless Anne would prefer the organization and preparation happen somewhere else, to keep the project thread fairly uncluttered. In any case, I think the final product would go there. Any idea how long you'd expect the final product to be?

KevinS
Posts: 9448
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » October 31st, 2020, 8:20 pm

mightyfelix wrote:
October 31st, 2020, 8:14 pm
We could probably organize it in the Christmas short works collection, unless Anne would prefer the organization and preparation happen somewhere else, to keep the project thread fairly uncluttered. In any case, I think the final product would go there. Any idea how long you'd expect the final product to be?
I haven't worked that out yet. I'm hoping for 40 minutes or so, assuming each reading is 3 minutes. Some of the readings in the book's 'lectionary' are just 4 verses, though. The longest Gospel reading is just 14 verses (Luke 2:1-14.) The hymns may take the most time.
Sunday is a good PL day for me.

KevinS
Posts: 9448
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » October 31st, 2020, 8:22 pm

I'm thinking this project might be placed first in the DR thread. Where it ends up, I don't know.
Sunday is a good PL day for me.

annise
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 33739
Joined: April 3rd, 2008, 3:55 am
Location: Melbourne,Australia

Post by annise » October 31st, 2020, 8:23 pm

definitely not organised in the Christmas works thread :shock: and preferably not catalogued either. If Kevin wanted to read it all himself and join it together probably - I haven't timed the service.

Anne

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 48270
Joined: June 15th, 2008, 10:30 pm
Location: Toronto, ON (but Minnesotan to age 32)

Post by TriciaG » November 1st, 2020, 6:59 am

OK, so it sounds like KJV readings, carols from that linked work, and an opening & closing reading (not Bible)? Is that last part from a PD source?

I don't know if you'll get 14 separate voices, but you could limit them to, say, two sections on two non-contiguous Sundays. :hmm:
Short essays: Elia, and The Last Essays of Elia
Bulwer-Lytton novel: The Caxtons
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5

KevinS
Posts: 9448
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » November 1st, 2020, 7:44 am

TriciaG wrote:
November 1st, 2020, 6:59 am
OK, so it sounds like KJV readings, carols from that linked work, and an opening & closing reading (not Bible)? Is that last part from a PD source?

I don't know if you'll get 14 separate voices, but you could limit them to, say, two sections on two non-contiguous Sundays. :hmm:
I thought the opening and close might be something from the Lutheran source, but now I am more inclined toward opening and closing hymns and traditional doxology.

You're right about the voices, I agree.

But where would this go? Would it be catalogued alone? Or should I ask if it would be accepted as a non-fiction short work?
Sunday is a good PL day for me.

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 6757
Joined: August 7th, 2016, 6:39 pm

Post by mightyfelix » November 1st, 2020, 8:07 am

annise wrote:
October 31st, 2020, 8:23 pm
definitely not organised in the Christmas works thread :shock: and preferably not catalogued either. If Kevin wanted to read it all himself and join it together probably - I haven't timed the service.

Anne
I expected that you wouldn't want to organize it in that thread, and I totally understand. Things like that can get messy and generate a lot of posts to wade through.

But why not catalogue it there? We wouldn't want it to be a stand-alone, certainly. Can you think of another place where it would be more suited?

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 48270
Joined: June 15th, 2008, 10:30 pm
Location: Toronto, ON (but Minnesotan to age 32)

Post by TriciaG » November 1st, 2020, 11:09 am

I think this would work as a stand alone project:

- If each Sunday was a separate file (which I think would work better, because then listeners could just use one file per Sunday).

- Because there would be multiple source links and authors, it wouldn't work well as a regular contribution in a collection project.

Each Sunday file wouldn't have room for the multiple sources in it, either, but we could at least link to all the sources on the main catalog page (a KJV Bible text, the carols source, and the other readings source).
Short essays: Elia, and The Last Essays of Elia
Bulwer-Lytton novel: The Caxtons
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5

KevinS
Posts: 9448
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » November 1st, 2020, 11:34 am

TriciaG wrote:
November 1st, 2020, 11:09 am
I think this would work as a stand alone project:

- If each Sunday was a separate file (which I think would work better, because then listeners could just use one file per Sunday).

- Because there would be multiple source links and authors, it wouldn't work well as a regular contribution in a collection project.

Each Sunday file wouldn't have room for the multiple sources in it, either, but we could at least link to all the sources on the main catalog page (a KJV Bible text, the carols source, and the other readings source).
I'm game for four final sections. Opening hymn; epistle, Gospel, and hymn for each of four Sundays, followed by doxology. I like the idea of being able to listen Sunday by Sunday. This gives better flexibility to a listener. I still wish to 'mix up' the voices a bit, so I would like to have a working section for me to record the openings and closings, the opening hymn, and the doxology for the four Sundays. Then we would have 12 working sections for the various epistles, Gospels, and Advent hymn. (I think that would be enough; a closing hymn would not be needed.)

I will try to work out the various details today.

P.S. Oh, and a additional section for each final 'product.' (So, four more.) These will be sections 1 - 4.
Sunday is a good PL day for me.

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 48270
Joined: June 15th, 2008, 10:30 pm
Location: Toronto, ON (but Minnesotan to age 32)

Post by TriciaG » November 1st, 2020, 11:41 am

It's very much like a dramatic reading project: sections for each part in each act/chapter, plus the sections for the final files. :)
Short essays: Elia, and The Last Essays of Elia
Bulwer-Lytton novel: The Caxtons
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5

Post Reply