Help Picking a headset microphone

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
JamesJenkins

Post by JamesJenkins » October 29th, 2020, 9:32 am

I have a Jabra Pro 9450 headset microphone. I have been playing with it for days and can not get it to record above 79DB. (Looks like it is designed to limit the volume)

So I am looking to purchase something better for LibriVox.

The wiki pages https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=User-Recommended_Equipment has not had any meaningful updates since 2013.

I searched the forum and found some ideas about what not to get, but nothing significant on good choices.

My preference is a headset microphone, but a stand alone might also be an option.

Can anyone suggest a microphone currently on the market that is been good for you?
This post uses 100% recycled electrons

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo » October 29th, 2020, 10:58 am

I think most headphone mics probably have some sort of noise cancelling. You may find these "Microphone Showdown" projects helpful. Can't speak to how many of these mics are still available.

https://librivox.org/search?q=microphone&search_form=advanced

There are also several threads on microphones on the forum. Most recent discussion is here: viewtopic.php?t=69485

Personally I started with a Logitech headset in 2006, then switched to a Samson C03U usb condenser microphone in 2007 and am currently using the Audiotechnica AT2020USB condenser mic. This progression has provided improved noise floor and better sound quality.
Jo
My Librivox Solos
Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill. - Barbara Tuchman

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » October 29th, 2020, 6:19 pm

I started with a Logitech headset mic. I liked it ok at first, but I'd never go back. Some problems, in my view:
  • Catches a lot of plosive windy noises if the mic arm isn't positioned just perfectly.
  • No good way to modulate volume. If the book calls for a more loud/excited tone of voice, there's no way to move away from the mic to compensate for a louder voice, so clipping was sometimes a problem.
  • Eventually became uncomfortable after wearing for more than an hour or so. (This, of course, would depend on the headset.)
  • While recording, I couldn't hear ambient room noise, so might not notice if a stray sound occurred that might mar the recording.
  • And then, the death knell to my headset... My computer suddenly stopped recognizing it. No explanation. No solution. Logitech sent me another headset (after near-endless runaround and delay from customer service). Worked for a week, then the same problem occurred.
Some of these, of course, would depend on the brand, but some probably apply to any headset. I switched to a Samson Meteor Mic. I've had it for almost four years now, and I love it. Small, easy, good quality without costing a million dollars. (I think I paid about $50USD. Don't know if that has changed.)