Do you record with your Iphone or Ipad?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » October 23rd, 2020, 8:00 pm

I am doing research into the newest methods of recording being used with a view to updating our wiki on microphones and other ways to record. The new phones are so advanced that t his is possible now. So, if you use your phone or a pad either with a built in mic or one plugged in, please tell me your experiences. Is it easy? do you get good quality recordings? Can you compare it to other methods? How do you edit your recordings? stuff like that. You will be helping future members of LibriVox by sharing your experiences.

If you use any other method please add that to this thread too. We would like our wiki to be as up to date as possible. Thank you. Also Carl, our zombie volunteer thanks you too Image
Eager to get started recording? Follow these 7 steps to recording! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKLWam9cfVo&t=74s

Do they allow loud laughing in Hawaii? or just a low ha?

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » October 24th, 2020, 9:24 am

I no longer record using my phone, but did during a short period of time. I plugged in simple apple earbuds into it and found that my quality was pretty good (of course not professional quality, but not much of a difference from the $10 USB mic I have). I had to download a free app and got most of my settings right on it. Editing was trickier. I believe on my app there was a way to do it, but I found it too cumbersome so I just emailed my recordings to myself and edited the recordings on Audacity on my laptop. It worked pretty well for me, and I wouldn't be annoyed to do it again.
Campbell
pronouns: they/them

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » October 24th, 2020, 10:07 am

lymiewithpurpose wrote:
October 24th, 2020, 9:24 am
I no longer record using my phone, but did during a short period of time. I plugged in simple apple earbuds into it and found that my quality was pretty good (of course not professional quality, but not much of a difference from the $10 USB mic I have). I had to download a free app and got most of my settings right on it. Editing was trickier. I believe on my app there was a way to do it, but I found it too cumbersome so I just emailed my recordings to myself and edited the recordings on Audacity on my laptop. It worked pretty well for me, and I wouldn't be annoyed to do it again.
So you did record using your phone for awhile but no longer do it? Apple earbuds will pick up voices I presume but asking to be sure. You recorded a section as an apple recording or something, an MP3 or something proprietary to Apple? emailed it to yourself and then worked with Audacity. Thanks. Let me know if anything is inaccurate. But you don't do that now, right?
Eager to get started recording? Follow these 7 steps to recording! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKLWam9cfVo&t=74s

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » October 24th, 2020, 10:30 am

philchenevert wrote:
October 24th, 2020, 10:07 am
lymiewithpurpose wrote:
October 24th, 2020, 9:24 am
So you did record using your phone for awhile but no longer do it? Apple earbuds will pick up voices I presume but asking to be sure. You recorded a section as an apple recording or something, an MP3 or something proprietary to Apple? emailed it to yourself and then worked with Audacity. Thanks. Let me know if anything is inaccurate. But you don't do that now, right?
Yes I used it for a while while I was waiting for a new mic. Maybe a few weeks? The apple earbuds picked up my voice just fine and I didn't have much problem with background noises. I just checked, and the app I downloaded was called Voice Record. So I recorded it using the tech specs I could (I believe I got all or almost all of the specs right on the app) and then emailed it to myself to work with. I don't do that now, because for one I'm on a recording hiatus, and two I got my new mic and didn't have to take the extra step of emailing it to myself to work with.
Campbell
pronouns: they/them

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » October 24th, 2020, 10:36 am

Thank you. I am learning new things every day. :D