Pop Filter Recommendation - Logitech Mic

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Murphy8104

Post by Murphy8104 » October 22nd, 2020, 5:16 am

Overall I like the quality of my Logitech G35 headset microphone, but in some recordings I pick up a lot of POP and crackle noises. PL feedback recommends a filter, but going on line I'm confused about what kind of POP filter to buy. Does anyone use one? What have you found most effective and easy? I appreciate the help.

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » October 22nd, 2020, 5:48 am

I'm not sure how one would use a pop filter with a headset mic. Do they even make such a thing? Usually the suggestion of a pop filter is for a desktop mic.

OK, after a search, they basically are just those foam balls. I'm not sure how well they'd work.

The best advice for cutting out plosives with a headset mic is to adjust the positioning. Move the mic more above or below your mouth rather than directly in front of it. That way the bursts of breath will pass by the mic instead of hitting it.

As for crackles - that depends on the source. If it's from parts of the headset moving around, you might be able to lubricate those parts (maybe a dry lube, such as graphite?) If it's electrical, then try adjusting your cords and cables.

You can also remove some crackles during editing, to remove the worst ones, using the De Clicker plugin. (I don't recommend a full-recording treatment, because it'll take out your T, K, and other purposely-crackled sounds.) ;) Here's a forum thread detailing it (where to go to download it, etc.): viewtopic.php?f=23&t=52753
Elizabethan Poetry: The Psalmes of David
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5
Short essays: Elia, and The Last Essays of Elia
Bulwer-Lytton novel: The Caxtons

Murphy8104

Post by Murphy8104 » October 25th, 2020, 8:33 am

Thank you Tricia!