Compilations like the short non-fiction Collections

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

A few questions. They basically all come down to 'can an ordinary person create a collection like the short non-fiction collection?'. I ask because there is a limit on 2 contributions each time for the short non-fiction collection which would slow things down.

I've put some books on my list of things to record which have a variety of contributors (for example https://archive.org/details/fundamentalstest17chic/page/n11/mode/2up). Is it possible to have each chapter under a different author in the catalogue? I think people would sometimes search for Warfield for example and it would be ideal if his chapter appeared, which it wouldn't if the whole book were under some generic author.

Here's another example but more difficult because some are longer and some are very short (https://archive.org/details/thewritingsofchr00gileuoft/page/n17/mode/2up). Ideally, Athenagoras would become his own author but Aristo would not.

Then there's this (https://archive.org/details/seventeenshorttr22augu/page/n15/mode/2up) which is short works by the same author but they are different works so if someone were searching for any one of them ("On Lying" is quite famous), they would type that into the catalgoe and it wouldn't appear.

Finally, is it possible to combine multiple things into one 'book'? For example, Augustine's two treatises on lying (see above) are unrelated and separate works but it wouldn't be crazy to bring them together to create one work out of the two.

Thanks for any help.
Female Scripture Characters by William Jay (1769 - 1853) 97% 1 left! "The Penitent Sinner Part 2"
St. Augustine (Vol.6 Psalms 126-150) 94% 3 left!
PL pls: DPL 43 27-28
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Yes to them all - you can make your own collections - there are quite a few Science Fiction ones. They usually have a stated reason for existing, like X stories by someone, or X stories about bees, or whatever - they sell better with an interesting title :D :D . They are more work for the soloist as they are expected to set up all the individual metadata if they want the individual stories to be searchable.

Anne
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

annise wrote: October 21st, 2020, 4:59 am Yes to them all - you can make your own collections - there are quite a few Science Fiction ones. They usually have a stated reason for existing, like X stories by someone, or X stories about bees, or whatever - they sell better with an interesting title :D :D . They are more work for the soloist as they are expected to set up all the individual metadata if they want the individual stories to be searchable.

Anne
Excellent news! How do I go about it? Is it the 'multiple sources' option in the forum code generator?
Female Scripture Characters by William Jay (1769 - 1853) 97% 1 left! "The Penitent Sinner Part 2"
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

However, we typically do not set up a single book by one or more authors as a collection. There are some exceptions to this in the catalog, but collections are meant to be articles by various authors from different sources. You can create your own collection of individual articles on a specific subject or by a specific author from different sources. For example, we have collections of newspaper articles, Supreme Court decisions, etc.

There is a compilation option in the template generator, or you can just discuss it with your MC.
Jo
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Thanks for the info. Here's another example: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/11981 . All but one of these authors exist in the catalogue already. It strikes me that it's not a dissimilar case to https://librivox.org/library-of-the-worlds-best-literature-ancient-and-modern-volume-1-by-various/ but you guys can tell me the rule and guidelines better than I can.

For short works I gave examples of in the previous post, would it be preferrable if I create a 20 work collection of say 'church fathers from the 1st to the 5th century' as the theme to justify the use of a collection?

Thanks
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

After you have been around a while you will realise that it is impossible to set hard and fast rules for anything around here, and also that in 2010 no one ever realised that what started as a blog with different people reading a chapter would turn into the catalogue of books we have today so some things have been changed.
I don't know enough about Church Fathers to answer that part - we have a number of readers reading their works already I know but how many there are and how long they are I know not.

Anne