Why is there all of a sudden a bunch of white noise behind my voice?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
spatel2

Post by spatel2 »

Yesterday, my Audacity was working fine(or my microphone, I don't know which one), and there was no white noise behind my voice. Today, when I try to fix something on one of my projects, I suddenly notice a lot, like A LOT, of white noise behind my voice.

I am sitting in the same place I was yesterday, except the grass cutter guy(what do I call him?) is near, and the microphone might be picking up the noise from him, so maybe that's the reason?

I tried applying Noise Reduction, but that didn't work. What should I do? Thanks.
~ Shriya
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

spatel2 wrote: October 16th, 2020, 9:22 am Yesterday, my Audacity was working fine(or my microphone, I don't know which one), and there was no white noise behind my voice. Today, when I try to fix something on one of my projects, I suddenly notice a lot, like A LOT, of white noise behind my voice.

I am sitting in the same place I was yesterday, except the grass cutter guy(what do I call him?) is near, and the microphone might be picking up the noise from him, so maybe that's the reason?

I tried applying Noise Reduction, but that didn't work. What should I do? Thanks.
Could you please give us a sample of what you mean? upload a track for us to listen to and we can give more advice. and yes, mowers are picked up by my mic!
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
spatel2

Post by spatel2 »

~ Shriya
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Probably the lawnmower. Try again after it's not running and see if the noise goes away.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
spatel2

Post by spatel2 »

Ok. I tried right now(when the lawnmower went away), and it's still there. I think that's because my computer is heating up. Now I can hear the noise without audacity.
~ Shriya
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I didn't hear anything when I listened. When I amplified it, I heard some white noise and the ticking of a clock.

If you can make the noise go away before recording, do it. Otherwise, just do light noise removal, and you'll be fine, IMHO. It's well within LV standards.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
spatel2

Post by spatel2 »

It's nearly gone, I can't hear it anymore. I have no idea what it was..but it was probably my computer heating up, because I cooled it down(kind of). Thanks though!
~ Shriya
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

There is a repeating mechanical sound, but honestly it's not significant. I have to use closed headphones at high volume to detect it. I wouldn't worry about it.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
spatel2

Post by spatel2 »

I have no idea what happened, but the noise is COMPLETELY gone!!! There is NO more white noise, like NO MORE!! It's much better than before. This will remain a mystery.....
~ Shriya
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

spatel2 wrote: October 18th, 2020, 7:39 pm I have no idea what happened, but the noise is COMPLETELY gone!!! There is NO more white noise, like NO MORE!! It's much better than before. This will remain a mystery.....
Ooooooooo The Shadow Knows ....Oooooooooo (mysterious sounds) ....(chains clanking) Oooooo
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk