Why is there all of a sudden a bunch of white noise behind my voice?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
spatel2

Post by spatel2 » October 16th, 2020, 9:22 am

Yesterday, my Audacity was working fine(or my microphone, I don't know which one), and there was no white noise behind my voice. Today, when I try to fix something on one of my projects, I suddenly notice a lot, like A LOT, of white noise behind my voice.

I am sitting in the same place I was yesterday, except the grass cutter guy(what do I call him?) is near, and the microphone might be picking up the noise from him, so maybe that's the reason?

I tried applying Noise Reduction, but that didn't work. What should I do? Thanks.
~ Shriya

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » October 16th, 2020, 9:41 am

spatel2 wrote:
October 16th, 2020, 9:22 am
Yesterday, my Audacity was working fine(or my microphone, I don't know which one), and there was no white noise behind my voice. Today, when I try to fix something on one of my projects, I suddenly notice a lot, like A LOT, of white noise behind my voice.

I am sitting in the same place I was yesterday, except the grass cutter guy(what do I call him?) is near, and the microphone might be picking up the noise from him, so maybe that's the reason?

I tried applying Noise Reduction, but that didn't work. What should I do? Thanks.
Could you please give us a sample of what you mean? upload a track for us to listen to and we can give more advice. and yes, mowers are picked up by my mic!
Eager to get started recording? Follow these 7 steps to recording! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKLWam9cfVo&t=74s

Who walked off with our LibriVox limbo stick! Seriously, how low can you go.

spatel2

Post by spatel2 » October 16th, 2020, 9:43 am

~ Shriya

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » October 16th, 2020, 10:09 am

Probably the lawnmower. Try again after it's not running and see if the noise goes away.
Elizabethan Poetry: The Psalmes of David
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5
Short essays: Elia, and The Last Essays of Elia

spatel2

Post by spatel2 » October 16th, 2020, 10:12 am

Ok. I tried right now(when the lawnmower went away), and it's still there. I think that's because my computer is heating up. Now I can hear the noise without audacity.
~ Shriya

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » October 16th, 2020, 10:13 am

I didn't hear anything when I listened. When I amplified it, I heard some white noise and the ticking of a clock.

If you can make the noise go away before recording, do it. Otherwise, just do light noise removal, and you'll be fine, IMHO. It's well within LV standards.
Elizabethan Poetry: The Psalmes of David
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5
Short essays: Elia, and The Last Essays of Elia

spatel2

Post by spatel2 » October 16th, 2020, 10:18 am

It's nearly gone, I can't hear it anymore. I have no idea what it was..but it was probably my computer heating up, because I cooled it down(kind of). Thanks though!
~ Shriya

sjmarky

Post by sjmarky » October 16th, 2020, 11:11 am

There is a repeating mechanical sound, but honestly it's not significant. I have to use closed headphones at high volume to detect it. I wouldn't worry about it.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page

spatel2

Post by spatel2 » October 18th, 2020, 7:39 pm

I have no idea what happened, but the noise is COMPLETELY gone!!! There is NO more white noise, like NO MORE!! It's much better than before. This will remain a mystery.....
~ Shriya

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » October 18th, 2020, 8:27 pm

spatel2 wrote:
October 18th, 2020, 7:39 pm
I have no idea what happened, but the noise is COMPLETELY gone!!! There is NO more white noise, like NO MORE!! It's much better than before. This will remain a mystery.....
Ooooooooo The Shadow Knows ....Oooooooooo (mysterious sounds) ....(chains clanking) Oooooo
Eager to get started recording? Follow these 7 steps to recording! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKLWam9cfVo&t=74s

Who walked off with our LibriVox limbo stick! Seriously, how low can you go.