Question About Software

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
darthbane

Post by darthbane » October 4th, 2020, 9:26 pm

Hi everyone! I just have a quick question. I'm starting out with volunteering on here and I was looking at the 1-minute test. The only devices I have available to record on are my phone (which has a good enough mic that I've been able to use it for amateur VA work so far) and my Chromebook. Garageband isn't available on Chrome, and Audacity is, but only if you can enable Linux. I'm doing the best I can to get that worked out, but I'm not sure if I can. This Chromebook is old and I don't know if I'll be able to clear enough storage. Are there any (preferably free) alternatives that have the necessary features, maybe on the Google Play Store? I plan on trying to figure Audacity out, but I would like to have a backup plan.

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » October 4th, 2020, 10:39 pm

You can, and most people do, use the same software to record and edit.
But it is possible to record on your phone etc with 1, then transfer the files to a computer to edit it (everyone needs to edit :D) Others will have more specific suggestions and there will be more floating around the forum. it is hard to come up with a question no one has asked before :D :D

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » October 5th, 2020, 5:54 am

Doing a quick forum search on "Chromebook", I see that we have people who have completed the 1-minute test using WavePad or Twisted Wave.

I can't speak to how easy it is to edit or export using the correct specs using either of these apps...
Mystery/PulpFic: Dope, by Sax Rohmer
The one that started them all: Self-Help, by Samuel Smiles
Elizabethan Poetry: The Psalmes of David
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5
Short essays: Elia, and The Last Essays of Elia