Composite text and lacunae

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert » October 3rd, 2020, 1:59 am

Hi,

I'm new to all this (I've done two books so far, in the middle of the third) and I'd love some advice about sources.

I would like to record the sermons of John Calvin on Ephesians (I've done the commentary already). After lots of digging, I can find two sources for the text. The first one is here: https://quod.lib.umich.edu/e/eebo/A17705.0001.001/1:5?rgn=div1;view=toc

Is this sufficently public domain?
To the extent possible under law, the Text Creation Partnership has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this keyboarded and encoded edition of the work described above, according to the terms of the CC0 1.0 Public Domain Dedication (http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/). This waiver does not extend to any page images or other supplementary files associated with this work, which may be protected by copyright or other license restrictions. Please go to http://www.textcreationpartnership.org/ for more information.
If that version of the text is allowed, then it would be a good one to read from but there are a number of lacunae in every chapter. I think it would be possible to decipher the missing words from this version of the text: https://books.google.com.sg/books?id=FJB0pzBWGSoC (especially if I make use of Google's OCR attempts of it as a third pass). My question is whether I'm allowed to do that or whether I have to read from a single source. To the best of my knowledge, they are both derived from the same physical book.

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » October 3rd, 2020, 5:11 am

Wow - old school spelling. That does NOT look like fun to me! :lol:

Both text sources are OK to use.

I have at times had to pull up a scan of a text to determine missing text in my source. Usually it's only once or twice per project, so I don't bother to cite it. If there's a lot of missing text such that you're referencing the scan for significant portions of it, then we can add it to the catalog page as a secondary source.

(It might be appreciated by UMich if you keep a record of the errata and corrections, and submit them to them afterward in order to fix their text. Just a thought...)
Mystery/PulpFic: Dope, by Sax Rohmer
The one that started them all: Self-Help, by Samuel Smiles
Elizabethan Poetry: The Psalmes of David
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5
Short essays: Elia, and The Last Essays of Elia

InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert » October 3rd, 2020, 6:14 pm

TriciaG wrote:
October 3rd, 2020, 5:11 am
Wow - old school spelling. That does NOT look like fun to me! :lol:

Both text sources are OK to use.

I have at times had to pull up a scan of a text to determine missing text in my source. Usually it's only once or twice per project, so I don't bother to cite it. If there's a lot of missing text such that you're referencing the scan for significant portions of it, then we can add it to the catalog page as a secondary source.

(It might be appreciated by UMich if you keep a record of the errata and corrections, and submit them to them afterward in order to fix their text. Just a thought...)
Thanks Tricia, I'll slowly start thinking about this. Is one allowed to have more than one project on the go at once? I'm imagining that this one would get an update perhaps once a month as I pick through the, as you said, old school spelling and missing words. There are smaller thigns that would get much quicker updates in the meantime.

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » October 4th, 2020, 5:50 am

Yes, you can be working on more than one solo at a time. Just don't start more projects than you can handle. 8-) (Two solo projects shouldn't do this, but some people have a half dozen, which I cannot comprehend!)

InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert » October 5th, 2020, 11:01 pm

TriciaG wrote:
October 4th, 2020, 5:50 am
Yes, you can be working on more than one solo at a time. Just don't start more projects than you can handle. 8-) (Two solo projects shouldn't do this, but some people have a half dozen, which I cannot comprehend!)
Great!

What would you recommend for a very difficult project (like the one mentioned above)? It may be the case that I don't succeed in finishing it because the text is problematic (though I won't know until I try - a test chapter seemed ok). What's the worst case scenario? Abort half way and then add the successful chapters to a short non-fiction collection? Change the scope of the project to remove the chapters with unreadable text?

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » October 6th, 2020, 6:35 am

Hmm. I suppose you could do either. I think if I were Queen of LibriVox, I'd prefer putting them in the nonfiction collection if you can't finish them. They're standalone sermons, if I see this correctly, so they'd fit within that collection just fine on their own, and I personally prefer a project on a book to be - well, the whole book.

On the other hand, if it's only a word or phrase here and there that cannot be read or figured out in context, you could record something like a short pause, then "illegible text," another little pause, then continue. In the summary/intro we could say something like, "We could not find an online text source that was without illegible portions. The texts have all been included, but a note is made in the audio where the text was illegible."