Any advice

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
reader25

Post by reader25 »

Hi, I couldn't find a similar topic so I hope making a new one is fine. I'm quite new to the field of recording so I wanted to ask for some advice.
Any tips against speaking too fast or getting nervous?
I appreciate for your help.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Hmmm. I've heard of people setting a picture of a loved one next to their recording area, or a stuffed animal, then focusing on telling the story to them. :)

With any new experience, there are going to be nerves at first. Take a breath, be aware of it (and that it's not unusual), then consciously try to slow down and take your time. And the good thing about this over public speaking? If you mess up, you can simply redo it, and no one will know how bad the first version was! :lol:
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Yep. To slow down, take a deep breath before recording; read the sentence or phrase to yourself and mentally rehearse it. The author spent a lot of time choosing each word in that sentence and meant it to convey something. this has helped me slow down and speak the words more carefully trying to decipher and then interpret the words and emotions. Otherwise I just keep speeding up.

Nervous? I read to children in my mind. They are not critical at all. No matter they love to listen to any story. I have a few stuffed animals on my desk to remind me and to substitute for my grandchildren. Tell 'em a story and nervousness drops away and the wonder of the story takes over. At least for me.
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Another thing that might help is to remember that you are in full control. Nothing gets posted without your deciding so. You get to edit the piece, so if you don't like it, you can do it again. Try on another day. Have a cup of herbal tea. Pretend you're Mr. Rogers or Phyllis Diller. Whatever works!

What works for me is to never take myself too seriously. (I'll probably laugh at my own funeral.) Just have fun.
reader25

Post by reader25 »

TriciaG wrote: September 25th, 2020, 10:25 am Hmmm. I've heard of people setting a picture of a loved one next to their recording area, or a stuffed animal, then focusing on telling the story to them. :)

With any new experience, there are going to be nerves at first. Take a breath, be aware of it (and that it's not unusual), then consciously try to slow down and take your time. And the good thing about this over public speaking? If you mess up, you can simply redo it, and no one will know how bad the first version was! :lol:
I wouldn't have thought about the pictures. Thank you. Good to know you can keep the bad version a secret :D
reader25

Post by reader25 »

philchenevert wrote: September 25th, 2020, 10:29 am Yep. To slow down, take a deep breath before recording; read the sentence or phrase to yourself and mentally rehearse it. The author spent a lot of time choosing each word in that sentence and meant it to convey something. this has helped me slow down and speak the words more carefully trying to decipher and then interpret the words and emotions. Otherwise I just keep speeding up.

Nervous? I read to children in my mind. They are not critical at all. No matter they love to listen to any story. I have a few stuffed animals on my desk to remind me and to substitute for my grandchildren. Tell 'em a story and nervousness drops away and the wonder of the story takes over. At least for me.
Maybe I try some mediation beforehand. I often heard it helps to slow down. Thanks for your advice :D
reader25

Post by reader25 »

KevinS wrote: September 25th, 2020, 10:44 am Another thing that might help is to remember that you are in full control. Nothing gets posted without your deciding so. You get to edit the piece, so if you don't like it, you can do it again. Try on another day. Have a cup of herbal tea. Pretend you're Mr. Rogers or Phyllis Diller. Whatever works!

What works for me is to never take myself too seriously. (I'll probably laugh at my own funeral.) Just have fun.
That's good to know :D Thank you
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Just to make sure this doesn't give the wrong impression - once your reading is catalogued you can't change it :D
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Yeah - sorry if I gave that impression. Mess up as much as you want, but when you submit the section, make sure it's what you want to be released to the public. ;) There may be something caught in proof-listening, but the submitted section is to be broadcast-worthy. ;)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

reader25 wrote: September 25th, 2020, 9:09 am Hi, I couldn't find a similar topic so I hope making a new one is fine. I'm quite new to the field of recording so I wanted to ask for some advice.
Any tips against speaking too fast or getting nervous?
I appreciate for your help.
You can attend my free Zoom narrator workshop: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=82840
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page