Getting started with a collection of Lincoln Speeches

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
mike1992

Post by mike1992 » September 23rd, 2020, 12:45 pm

I'm wondering how to get started on a collection of Abraham Lincoln's speeches, letters, and writings. I'm hoping to upload them individually, since I'm not particularly interested in recording a preface or introduction. Would I follow the process under the "Going Solo" section or the Launch Pad?

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » September 23rd, 2020, 1:43 pm

Do you have one source, or multiple?

I assume by recording them individually, you don't mean having each one as a separate project. That would be overkill (and we generally don't have such short individual projects). You can record selections from a book without doing the introduction or preface; those are at the soloists/BC's discretion whether or not to record them. Each speech, etc. can be its own file/section in the project.

We do recommend, however, recording at least a section or two in a group project, to get your bearings on recording and editing. In my experience, a ballpark estimate of 95% of brand new readers who start with a solo end up quitting before finishing. Please test the waters first before jumping in. :) Not only that, you're basically alone in a solo: you are the coordinator, and unless you have a very friendly DPL, you won't get much encouragement while doing your solo.

When you're ready to begin a solo, you'd go to the Launch Pad, click on the thread, "Want to start a solo recording?" and follow the instructions there. 8-)
Elizabethan Poetry: The Psalmes of David
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5
Short essays: Elia, and The Last Essays of Elia

mike1992

Post by mike1992 » September 23rd, 2020, 3:30 pm

Thanks! I'll be using this as my source: http://gutenberg.org/files/2653/2653-h/2653-h.htm

I didn't realize the prefaces/intros were discretionary, though -- that's a major relief! And thanks so much for the heads up about the workload and difficulties associated with getting started. I'm really hoping to give this a try, and I'm not terribly worried about editing, etc. since I have some background in sound production. And of course, I'm hoping to rely on the great resources on this forum!