Start-up for a complete novice

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Hillcom

Post by Hillcom » September 10th, 2020, 10:07 am

I have loaded "Checker" on my Laptop ... understand it will be used to determine audio format, volume, etc. of a file, before I commence PL; however I do not know which file to test. Would that be the file to which I intend to proof listen? I see that these test results should then be sent to someone to verify, before I commence PL. To whom would that be?
Would just love a flow chart.
Will you please assist?
Hillcom

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » September 10th, 2020, 10:58 am

Yep. Many people are here to help you. Here is a basic video on our forums https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK9HAdLF-2k&t=30s

We have a proof listening wiki page here viewtopic.php?f=21&t=17680

As I said, others will give you specific help but in the meantime, just be patient, browse the forums and hang in there. We need proof listeners'!
video of our Zoom 10/18/2020 https://youtu.be/OtvgxviSrTw

My horses' name is Mayo. Sometimes Mayo neighs

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » September 10th, 2020, 2:13 pm

Hillcom wrote:
September 10th, 2020, 10:07 am
I see that these test results should then be sent to someone to verify, before I commence PL. To whom would that be?
I'm not sure what you read to give you this idea, but no, you don't need to do this. Check the file with Checker to make sure it meets the technical requirements, then listen to it. Make note of any errors that need to be addressed (following the guidelines in the page that Phil showed you), as well as any problems that Checker flags. Then compile those into an easy-to-follow report for the reader and post it in the project thread. That's it!

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » September 10th, 2020, 4:36 pm

The "PL Quiz" has the answers somewhere in the wiki, so you don't have to get them verified anywhere, either.
Mystery/PulpFic: Dope, by Sax Rohmer
The one that started them all: Self-Help, by Samuel Smiles
Elizabethan Poetry: The Psalmes of David
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5
Short essays: Elia, and The Last Essays of Elia