Increasing Volume in GarageBand

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » August 28th, 2020, 1:36 pm

One of the readers in a project has low volume. She responded to my request that she increase volume by saying she uses GarageBand and can't find how to get it louder. So I am asking for help. Surely we have solved this problem before because this is such a well known recording platform.
quote=Pianolil post_id=1772476 time=1598633584 user_id=114833]
Hi, I use GarageBand, do you think I change the volume there? I tried before but we did not know how to change the volume.What should I do?
[/quote]

I responded
Apparently no one else knows either! ha. I just watched four videos about increasing volume in GarageBand and they all totally confused me, just talking in circles. It seems very difficult to do which is strange for such a popular recording platform. Of course I use Audacity and with that it is just a simple click to increase or decrease volume. So I am perplexed. This is why most all of us switched to using Audacity, but nevertheless I will add this question to our Need Help forum. Hang in there Pianolil, we will try to help you, but you need to fix this problem before making any more audio tracks because it will remain a problem.

Of course you could just install Audacity, import your MP3 into it and bump up the volume but let's see if we can fix it at the source.
video of our Zoom 10/18/2020 https://youtu.be/OtvgxviSrTw

My horses' name is Mayo. Sometimes Mayo neighs

Peter Why

Post by Peter Why » August 28th, 2020, 10:27 pm

I've never used Garageband, but I poked around in the online manual and found this: https://help.apple.com/garageband/mac/10.3/#/gbnd5e8076d0

... which is about "working with the master track" and mentions adjusting the overall volume. It does sound straightforward, but, of course, it may not be.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger

sjmarky

Post by sjmarky » August 31st, 2020, 8:27 pm

I used to use GB all the time when I had my own podcast, but since I ended it I haven't kept up with the latest releases. But anyway, this question and exporting in mono keeping coming up, so I launched v. 10.3.5 to see if I could figure it out. As far as mono is concerned, the old special export menu is simply gone. I can find no way to export a mono MP3 file anywhere, nor can I find any info. One workaround I found said to use the gain control in the plugins menu for the master track (which makes no sense), but the gain control is no longer there in the latest version. Obviously, this would also be the place to set the overall volume, but is gone. Changing the track volume doesn't affect the output volume either; I believe GB automatically normalizes to 0db, which is not helpful. I guess (unless someone better versed in the latest GB knows) there does not appear to be any way in GB 10.3.5 either to export in mono or to adjust the final volume. Honestly, GB was never a good choice for audiobook recording; now it looks like it is simply useless.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page

djpentz

Post by djpentz » September 5th, 2020, 12:02 am

Honestly, the best advice for the user is to simply switch to Audacity.

I have Garage Band installed and use it for recording vocals sung with a backing track. The simple fact that so many here use Audacity, that some have even posted instructional videos using Audacity to make recordings for Librivox, led me to not even bother with using GB for LibriVox. If you use GB, you're always going to be at a deficit whenever you come up against challenges, whereas if you get used to Audacity from the get go, you'll always have a wealth of experience from other users to draw from.