Trying to Volunteer in College, How do I Reduce Mic Sensitivity?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
TheIntern356

Post by TheIntern356 » August 27th, 2020, 7:21 am

Hello there Librivox. I am currently attending college and I still wanted to contribute to reading. However, I am on campus and I have concerns that my mic will pick up dormant noise.

I would like to record in my dorm. It is a single person and has fairly good soundproofing so others next to my room cannot hear anything. However, I can hear some noise from the hallways, like conversations and heavy doors closing.

I am pretty sure if I just reduce the sensitivity of the mic I can have it only pick up my voice and not the faint hallway noises. However, I am unsure of which setting to adjust. Is it in audacity, the slider labeled "recording volume"? Or do I have to go to windows settings?

Please advise.

KevinS

Post by KevinS » August 27th, 2020, 9:36 am

Someone will be able to give better advice than can I, but it might be helpful to answer if your mic has two settings (the names of which I don't know.) The point being, my mic will record directly in front of it and, on another setting, the whole room.
What? What's that? Why are you shouting?

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » August 27th, 2020, 9:38 am

What type of mic do you have? And let me say that you will definitely be able to record, just make the adjustments you are looking for.
Eager to get started recording? Follow these 7 steps to recording! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKLWam9cfVo&t=74s

Who walked off with our LibriVox limbo stick! Seriously, how low can you go.

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » August 27th, 2020, 9:42 am

Keep in mind we have a standard range of volume, so just recording more quietly won't help - you'll just have to amplify, which would also amplify the noise.

If the door slams are infrequent, then you can always just repeat the line that had the slam in it and cut out the bad line. I do that with telephone calls and other noises. ;)

Hallway noise, it may or may not make it to the mic. Is there a way to rig a hanging blanket in front of your door? Maybe that would dampen some of the hall noise.
Elizabethan Poetry: The Psalmes of David
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5
Short essays: Elia, and The Last Essays of Elia

TheIntern356

Post by TheIntern356 » August 27th, 2020, 11:12 am

Thanks for the replies. I can definitely try to implement some sort of blanket wall

My microphone is https://www.amazon.com/Microphone-TONOR-Podcasting-Compatible-TC-777/dp/B07WLWN2ZT/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=tonor+gaming+microphone&qid=1598551929&sr=8-3 , with pop filter and mic wind cover.

KevinS

Post by KevinS » August 27th, 2020, 11:21 am

Perhaps not the best alternative, but we had a chapel on campus that, in my experience, was very little used during weekdays. I used to go there and both pray and read. Services were no longer held there, so the building became more of a mediation room, but was still, at that time, very little used. Today, with laptops, finding quiet places is easier and easier, though it may be that you won't be able to wear just pj's.

KevinS

Post by KevinS » August 27th, 2020, 11:23 am

TheIntern356 wrote:
August 27th, 2020, 11:12 am
Thanks for the replies. I can definitely try to implement some sort of blanket wall

My microphone is https://www.amazon.com/Microphone-TONOR-Podcasting-Compatible-TC-777/dp/B07WLWN2ZT/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=tonor+gaming+microphone&qid=1598551929&sr=8-3 , with pop filter and mic wind cover.
Cardioid Pickup Pattern. Just the thing!

sjmarky

Post by sjmarky » August 27th, 2020, 4:03 pm

Blankets and such probably won't help. If you have a lot of external noise, a better option might be a dynamic mic, like the Audio-Technica ATR2100. This is a stage-type mic that requires you to be very close to it for it to pick up. Most book narrators don't like to work this way, but if a noisy environment is your issue it may be the only option.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page