How do I post my recordings on the site?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
GarethrHeathcote

Post by GarethrHeathcote »

I've been very slow at getting to grips with the site (especially the technical elements), and would appreciate some help.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

What you need to do first is record a 1 minute test - it isn't an audition, just a way of getting the tech bits right for our catalogue - it's not an audition it's sort of like a performance sound check.
There are links to this in your welcome email and also in the guides for listeners and volunteers in the link just under the LibriVox Forum page heading, once that has been done you will have some answers, then as about the next step, we all were beginners once.

Anne
GarethrHeathcote

Cheers!
spatel2

Post by spatel2 »

GarethrHeathcote wrote: August 4th, 2020, 10:16 pm I've been very slow at getting to grips with the site (especially the technical elements), and would appreciate some help.
To post your recordings on the site, you must go here: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

Then, select the mc for your project. Add your file as well. If it is a one minute test, it will be tests-tests. Then start upload. Wait a little, and then a link will appear. Post that link in the thread of your topic.
~ Shriya
GarethrHeathcote

Hi all, back again. I've been sidetracked by life these past months and am now determined to start once and for all.
I have recorded my 1 minute test, but I am unsure how to get in touch with an MC. I would be grateful for any help. Cheers.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

You need to post it in the listeners and editors forum as I said above viewtopic.php?p=1761645#p1761645 . Assuming you no longer have your welcome email https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Main_Page#One_Minute_Test has all the information you need. You don't need to find an MC - they will find you when you need one.

Anne
GarethrHeathcote

I'll get to it tomorrow. Thank you so much!
GarethrHeathcote

This came up when I tried to upload the test:
"Error The filetype you are attempting to upload is not allowed."
At the risk of seeming very stupid, what do I do?
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Tell me about the file - what type was it (what was it's ending .wav .txt etc)
GarethrHeathcote

.m4a
I recorded it using the Audio Recording component of QuickTime Player.
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

m4a files are not useable by Librivox. They must be 128kbps mono MP3’s. QuickTime will not be useable for recording audiobooks; you will need to be able to edit your audio. Use another app such as Audacity.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
GarethrHeathcote

Ok, I've downloaded Audacity. Is there any way I can convert my QuickTime files to Audacity, or will I have to record everything all over again?
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

If all you have recorded is your 1-minute test, then re-recording it in Audacity would be the simplest. If you have other longer recordings in m4a format, the short answer is yes, they can be imported into Audacity, but you will need to install the FFmpeg import/export library in order to do so.

file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Audacity2.4.1/help/manual/man/installing_ffmpeg_for_windows.html

Importing M4A (AAC) and MP4 files
M4A(AAC) and MP4 files can be imported into Audacity on Mac as shipped.

On Windows and GNU/Linux you need to download and install the optional FFmpeg library. See the Windows or Linux instructions.

Then drag and drop files from Apple Music/iTunes into the Audacity window, or use File > Import > Audio to import files from the location stated in Apple Music/iTunes.
Jo
GarethrHeathcote

I'm trying to rerecord my test, but can't get to grips with Audacity. Is there a quick crash course I could take?
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Try this: https://youtu.be/W4QpD1vAJkY

I should warn you that there have been a couple of updates to the software since this video was made, so a few things may be a bit different for you, but most of it is the same.