Recording Mistakes

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
ElizaLou

Post by ElizaLou »

General question about recording mistakes:
As I went through and listened to my recording and read along with the text I noticed that sometimes I made mistakes that I didn't catch while recording to stop and fix. For example I said something like "mediations" instead of "meditations" or left out a word here and there.
How accurate does the reading need to be with text? Word for word? If so, and I'm assuming it will need to be word for word, what is the best way to go about editing that? It's probably better to re-record an entire paragraph than just the word or phrase for consistency, correct?
Thanks,
Eliza
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

ElizaLou wrote: July 10th, 2020, 12:24 pm General question about recording mistakes:
As I went through and listened to my recording and read along with the text I noticed that sometimes I made mistakes that I didn't catch while recording to stop and fix. For example I said something like "mediations" instead of "meditations" or left out a word here and there.
How accurate does the reading need to be with text? Word for word? If so, and I'm assuming it will need to be word for word, what is the best way to go about editing that? It's probably better to re-record an entire paragraph than just the word or phrase for consistency, correct?
Thanks,
Eliza
Your example is a good one as it is something that I might not catch while PLing. (Hopefully I would, but the mind often supplies the word one expects instead of the one one 'hears.')

We generally ask that the reader correct discrepancies that change the meaning of the text. (Or if whole lines and whatnot are dropped, etc.)

I generally re-record a whole sentence when I am making corrections. The aural tone is not always the same, but that can't always be helped. I do try to make corrections at the same day of day that I recorded the original. My voice is a bit 'husky' in the morning and 'raspy' at night.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Kevin has given you some good tips already. I'll repeat what he said about re-recording the entire phrase or sentence. Not the whole paragraph, I'd say. That's too much, most of the time, and you may even introduce a new slip-up in another part of the paragraph. But a single word isn't enough. If you try to just insert the correct word, it will almost always sound very obvious.

As far as your question about whether word for word accuracy is required, the answer is usually no. Check out the levels of proof listening here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Guide_for_Proof-listeners#Levels_of_Proof-listening Most of our projects use standard PL. So if you skip a word or read "he said" instead of "said he," it wouldn't matter, as long as it doesn't greatly affect the meaning.

When you do need to make corrections, there are a few ways to go about it, but they pretty much all boil down to:
  1. Record the correct phrase/sentence.
  2. Copy the newly recorded correct phrase.
  3. Paste it over the old incorrect phrase.
Here is a short video demonstrating the process: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLdJsoGQc9c
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

The answer also depends on what precisely you mean by "How accurate does the reading need to be with text?" If you're asking how accurate it needs to be to pass PL, it depends on the level of PL requested for the project. The question can also be read more generally, asking how accurate it needs to be to accomplish what we're seeking to accomplish as LV contributors. The answer to the latter question is largely left to the discretion of individual readers, with the general instruction of reading the text as is, without deliberately deviating from it. As a LV reader you often have a good deal of discretion about various aspects of your contributions, including what kind of discrepancies you're willing to accept in your own readings, beyond those that you may be asked to fix by your PL. In many cases, the PL will not be following along with the text, and may not notice certain types of deviations that you may care about yourself. For example, you might skip a whole paragraph, and if it doesn't obviously interrupt the flow, the PL may have no way of knowing. I usually ask myself whether I would care about this or that discrepancy as a listener. Some discrepancies are large enough that it's no longer possible to call them a faithful reading of the text, but there are many grey areas.

Michael