reading plays: acceptable? how to?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
jpseeger

Post by jpseeger »

I am curious about the idea of reading a full-length play. Has this been done? If so, has it been a solo project or as a collaboration? If the latter, then was it divided by roles? I understand how this would be challenging, as it would require combining recordings done with different sonic ambience, etc. If by a sole reader, what, if any, guidance is there for distinguishing speakers? Would one quietly prefix each utterance by some indication of who's speaking, or would it be by exercising one's acting talent (assuming the reader has any) to make clear who is speaking? Thanks.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

It's done a lot. We have a whole section of the forum for dramatic works: viewforum.php?f=27

Some people read pays as solos; I haven't listened to any to know how they do it.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

I have recorded plays as a solo. Not hard at all and apparently very understandable. At least no one has ever said they were difficult to listen to. My favorites are Shaws plays because they are so well written and flow so smoothly,but I have done several Aristophanes comedies (in translation of course :roll: my Greek is weak).

A play naturally includes stage directions and indications of who is speaking. To my mind, these set the scene in a way better than a novel, that must do it by inference. My practice is to simply read 'em as they are written saying the name of the character where the author puts it.

Anyway, I have done it and lived to tell the tale. Lots of fun actually. :D
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

If you use the advance search of our catalogue for Solo and plays you get this
https://librivox.org/search?title=&author=&reader=&keywords=&genre_id=24&status=all&project_type=solo&recorded_language=&sort_order=catalog_date&search_page=1&search_form=advanced

I didn't restrict it to English and many of them are not in English as it is harder to get a complete cast from smaller pools of readers.

Anne