Tieing together articles and stories from a magazine

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I would like to begin reading articles and stories from The Colored American magazine. I'm not in a position to shepherd a full project for these, even issue by issue. (A volume is made up of some 900 pages or so. The issues are fairly lengthy.)

As our key words are not yet really active (if I understand matters correctly), is there a way of cataloging these recordings so that they can be retrieved as belonging to this magazine? If it means more work for the admins, I would say don't bother, but is there a simple way?

I hope I'm making this question clear enough.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Are you planning on reading these as a collection? In that case the title of the collection can include the title of the magazine, i.e., Selections from The Colored American. Is that what you mean?

As for keywords, they do work in the Advanced Search and also in archive.org searches. They will not work in the simple search box which is only for Author, Title or Reader. You just need to choose them carefully. Single keywords typically will work best for LV catalog searches. If you enter multiple keywords, the default is "and" not "or".

A search for "George Washington" will return all projects that include both the words George and Washington (not necessarily together). Obviously, it also depends on what keywords were entered by the BC or soloist whether you will get the results you expect or not.
Jo
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: June 26th, 2020, 1:10 pm Are you planning on reading these as a collection? In that case the title of the collection can include the title of the magazine, i.e., Selections from The Colored American. Is that what you mean?

As for keywords, they do work in the Advanced Search and also in archive.org searches. They will not work in the simple search box which is only for Author, Title or Reader. You just need to choose them carefully. Single keywords typically will work best for LV catalog searches. If you enter multiple keywords, the default is "and" not "or".

A search for "George Washington" will return all projects that include both the words George and Washington (not necessarily together). Obviously, it also depends on what keywords were entered by the BC or soloist whether you will get the results you expect or not.
Oh, that's good news about the keywords, though probably not helpful in this case. 'Colored American Magazine' would likely come up with a great number of listings not related specifically to the magazine's works.

To tell you the truth, I hadn't thought about doing anything at all systematic. I just saw that there are a lot of interesting articles found in the magazine's pages. I thought that maybe the Short Non-Fiction collection would welcome them.

I have three piles of work in my head: Today, Tomorrow, and TooHard. This one falls into the last category, I think.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

You certainly can submit single articles to Non-Fiction collection. However, it may be more difficult to get them all to come up in a single search than if you did a collection of hand-picked articles from the same publication.
Jo
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: June 26th, 2020, 1:35 pm You certainly can submit single articles to Non-Fiction collection. However, it may be more difficult to get them all to come up in a single search than if you did a collection of hand-picked articles from the same publication.
Yes, thank you. I'll have a look at the material and see what might be done.

I did realize that if I choose the texts from the source that is all one volume, then the eText link would take the interested listener there where he or she could do more study.