author's date of death

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
adr6090

Post by adr6090 » June 13th, 2020, 10:47 am

Hello,
I have been searching high and lo and still the author's date of death eludes me.
The author is Carleton B. Case. The date of birth is 1857 though even Wikipedia has nothing on that author, only the date of birth.

A second author [Daphne Dale] may be a pseudonym of Charles Franklin Beezley (an American man born in February 1853 who died on August 23, 1938).
However another unfamiliar site https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Beezley-203 lists a string of three Charles Franklin Beezleys with other dates.

So should I realize without the date of death it is not a possibility to record those author's works?
April

DACSoft

Post by DACSoft » June 13th, 2020, 11:44 am

Hi April.

Not having the author's date of death does not necessarily bar you from recording their works.

LibriVox follows U.S. copyright laws in determining what books can be recorded. Simply put, the general rule is that any book published in or before 1924 is in the public domain (PD) in the U.S. and not subject to U.S. copyright rules.

Anyone living in the U.S. is subject to the same U.S. regs (I believe from your posts that you are in California). Those outside the U.S. need also follow their copyright laws of the country they are in. Many of these refer to the author's life + 50 years or life + 70 years. That's when the author's date of death becomes important.[1]

So if the books you are interested in have been published in or before 1924, you can record them. For books published after that, books are PD if they fall under some sometimes complex exceptions (for example, whether or not a copyright was renewed after its first 28-year term). All books in Project Gutenberg (PG), from which many individuals here use for their ebooks, identify whether or not the book is in the public domain in the U.S. Almost all their selections are PD, but there is a very small percentage that are not.

FYI,
Don
(who also produces ebooks for PG, including all those I've solo'd here and all but one of those listed in my sig below)

[1] Date of death in the U.S. becomes important for books published after 1977.
Don (DACSoft)
Bringing the Baseball Joe series to audio!

In Progress:
Baseball Joe in the Central League; Left to Themselves
Next up:
Baseball Joe in the Big League; Whispering Tongues; Baseball Joe on the Giants

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » June 13th, 2020, 3:29 pm

Just adding a little - the site you list is probably correct, but anyone can say anything on the internet, which is its strength and its weakness. So we trust PG to have done the work needed, we trust scans showing the publication date as long as you read from that scan and we don't trust anyone else. There are many hours of work involved in producing our books, we don't want to have them taken down because their copyright status is queried.

Anne

Added - I've just checked the link you gave and it's just about dates - but the message still is valid :D

adr6090

Post by adr6090 » June 13th, 2020, 3:57 pm

Hello Don,
Thank you for the reply. The works I was looking at are pd in the U.S.A. You were correct with your statement of me being in California and you are in Connecticut if am correct as well?
The copyright dates are from 1894 & 1919.
I suppose it is wonderful to KNOW that those are acceptable with lv for dates so I can record tem. Thank you very much for your reply to me.
appreciatively,
April

DACSoft

Post by DACSoft » June 13th, 2020, 7:36 pm

You're quite welcome, April.

Glad I could help.

Don
Don (DACSoft)
Bringing the Baseball Joe series to audio!

In Progress:
Baseball Joe in the Central League; Left to Themselves
Next up:
Baseball Joe in the Big League; Whispering Tongues; Baseball Joe on the Giants