Converting Audacity files before editing

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
KevinS

Post by KevinS » June 13th, 2020, 9:17 am

I read recently that the Audacity folks recommend that one first save an mp3 version of one's recording (or whatever format one chooses) before editing.

Does anyone do that? Is there good reason to do this?

I generally don't convert my recordings until the very end of editing so that I can identify at a glance that, yes, this recording is ready for uploading.

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » June 13th, 2020, 9:22 am

I record, then export to FLAC if I'm not going to edit right away. (I don't save anything in the Audacity format.)

After editing, I'll export to FLAC as a backup copy, then apply my noise reduction and any amplifying (so the FLAC doesn't have that). Then I export and upload the MP3.

If I need to edit something, I'll open up the FLAC and do it there. Then repeat the process: export the new FLAC, noise remove/amplify, export MP3.

So after a recording or editing session, I always have one FLAC file for the section, and if I've finished up the section, I've got one MP3 for it.

Since MP3 is a lossy format, I don't save my intermediate steps as MP3. FLAC is lossless, so that it's as good quality no matter how many times you import, edit, and export it again. And I always keep the FLAC rather than Audacity because I prefer the one file for the section over the file-plus-folder mess that Audacity makes. :)
Hatfields & McCoys Sensationalist Account: An American Vendetta
Humor: Maxims of Methuselah about women

KevinS

Post by KevinS » June 13th, 2020, 9:29 am

TriciaG wrote:
June 13th, 2020, 9:22 am
Hahaah! You make me feel like a duffer!

What you describe makes very good sense.

DACSoft

Post by DACSoft » June 13th, 2020, 10:52 am

Hi Kevin,

Once I'm done recording, I save a FLAC file and an xxxx_raw.mp3. I like to keep my raw file for each section I record, and it's smaller as an MP3 than as a FLAC. As I'm editing, I periodically save to (replace) the FLAC file. Once done and ready to submit to LV, I save the final as a FLAC and the LV-named MP3. After the submission is PL OK!, I delete everything but the FLAC file, the raw file, the final submission file, and the text document from which I read, which is annotated with my notes. :)

FWIW,
Don
Don (DACSoft)
Bringing the Baseball Joe series to audio!

In Progress:
Baseball Joe in the Central League; Left to Themselves
Next up:
Baseball Joe in the Big League; Whispering Tongues; Baseball Joe on the Giants

KevinS

Post by KevinS » June 13th, 2020, 11:26 am

DACSoft wrote:
June 13th, 2020, 10:52 am
Hi Kevin,

Once I'm done recording, I save a FLAC file and an xxxx_raw.mp3. I like to keep my raw file for each section I record, and it's smaller as an MP3 than as a FLAC. As I'm editing, I periodically save to (replace) the FLAC file. Once done and ready to submit to LV, I save the final as a FLAC and the LV-named MP3. After the submission is PL OK!, I delete everything but the FLAC file, the raw file, the final submission file, and the text document from which I read, which is annotated with my notes. :)

FWIW,
Don
More proof I'm a duffer!

My system can best be described, in academic parlance, as post-erratic.

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » June 13th, 2020, 11:43 am

I record and edit in Audacity then when finished, export as an mp3. that's it. When the project is cataloged I delete the .aup and .data files and move the MP3 to my super secret back up disk in Nepal.
Phil Chenevert, The LibriVox Video Guy

A pun has not fully matured until it is full groan

Pssss! Tutorial Videos here. Take a peek.

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » June 13th, 2020, 3:35 pm

To both Phil and Kevin - I didn't bother saving out of Audacity until something went wrong and Audacity crashed while I was editing
Exporting as .flac takes seconds and gives peace of mind :D

Anne

KevinS

Post by KevinS » June 13th, 2020, 3:41 pm

annise wrote:
June 13th, 2020, 3:35 pm
To both Phil and Kevin - I didn't bother saving out of Audacity until something went wrong and Audacity crashed while I was editing
Exporting as .flac takes seconds and gives peace of mind :D

Anne
That's what I've been worried about. Thanks!

KevinS

Post by KevinS » June 13th, 2020, 3:42 pm

philchenevert wrote:
June 13th, 2020, 11:43 am
I record and edit in Audacity then when finished, export as an mp3. that's it. When the project is cataloged I delete the .aup and .data files and move the MP3 to my super secret back up disk in Nepal.
I chose Switzerland, but Nepal sounds pretty good!