[ANSWERED] Suggestion/ help for 1 min test

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Lily1

Post by Lily1 » June 12th, 2020, 4:04 pm

Hello. Apologies if this is the wrong location for this question -I am brand new to the entire LibriVox Forum world. I'm hoping someone will be able to answer my question about the 1-minute test. I did mine using Audacity (which I am also brand new at) but have not yet uploaded on here because I'm not sure it is right. The volume wavelength of it is very small and I'm having a hard time deciding if I simply speak too softly, if I didn't setup Audacity right, or I'm using the wrong type of recording device. In my opinion, I think it sounds fine, but that is listening to it off of my computer and speakers -it might be hard to hear on others. So, before I upload it does anyone have any suggestions for me about adjusting things to improve the volume wavelength? Thank you in advance!

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » June 12th, 2020, 4:08 pm

Visually, you should aim for your wave forms to peak near the 0.5 mark, like this:

If it's not up there, move up the microphone slider in the Audacity window. If that's up all the way, check if there's any volume control on the mic. Finally, you might have to increase the input volume in Windows/OS. Here's a link to instructions for that: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Audacity_1-2-3#Volume

There's a small program the spouse of a LibriVoxer developed to check the tech settings. You can download it and use it to check the volume and other settings. It's here: https://cgjennings.ca/projects/checker/
The volume information is in the Information tab. We aim for 89 dB, but anything between about 86 and 92 is good.
Hatfields & McCoys Sensationalist Account: An American Vendetta
Humor: Maxims of Methuselah about women

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » June 12th, 2020, 4:11 pm

Just upload the test. :roll:

It's exactly the same whether you ask the question now or after uploading. It will take somebody the same amount of time to answer it now than afterwards.

I see Tricia already answered. :lol:
Cheers,
Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com

Lily1

Post by Lily1 » June 12th, 2020, 4:23 pm

Thank you for the help Tracia. Apologies Availle –sorry, like I said I'm new and just didn't want to upload it, have someone say they could not hear and try to figure it out. Was trying to fix it before that. Sorry, didn't mean to waste anyone's time :oops:

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » June 12th, 2020, 4:33 pm

You're not wasting anybody's time as such - the issue has to be addressed one way or the other.

This is exactly what the test is good for. You don't need to "pre-test the test" or something.
Just upload the thing. We'll figure things out.
Cheers,
Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com