Advice on Reading Archive.org books or Google books

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
JachinandBoaz

Post by JachinandBoaz » June 7th, 2020, 4:12 pm

Good evening -

My eyes aren't what they used to be. I've found some items that I'd like to read for Librivox, but they're on Archive.org or Google Books, which have a digitized view of photographed (often yellow) pages, that you virtually "turn the page of" as you read the work. I suppose it's not too bad to simply read the text from a computer monitor while making recordings, but that's not really comfortable for me, since the Audacity program is usually smack-dab in the middle of the screen, so I tend to turn away from the computer screen to focus on the text.

If I bring these books up on a smart phone, the text is way too small and I have to costantly swipe the screen this way and that to find my place in a sentence. I have a Kindle Paperwhite, and it works well with Gutenberg books, but with these PDF views on Archive.org and Google books, the Kindle view is inadequate. I've been trying to research whether the Kindle Fire allows you to open Archive.org books in a single page view (the way it shows up on the screen when you go to the website), but I can't find any good information as to whether Kindle Fire works well with such books.

I feel like such a dinosaur.

Daniel

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » June 7th, 2020, 4:28 pm

You should be able to minimize the audacity window while you're recording.
No need to look at the waveform while you're working?

Then you can zoom into the google/archive pages and actually make them fit your whole screen (that's what I do, even though I record with an external recorder.)
Cheers,
Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » June 7th, 2020, 4:30 pm

You can download the PDF of the book, then open it up and have it scroll pages, one wide, rather than two wide on the website. This can let you zoom in more.
Hatfields & McCoys Sensationalist Account: An American Vendetta
Humor: Maxims of Methuselah about women

JachinandBoaz

Post by JachinandBoaz » June 7th, 2020, 5:17 pm

Thank you both!!!

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » June 7th, 2020, 9:12 pm

You can also scroll page-by-page on the archive reader, without downloading anything. There's an icon at the bottom of the reader that switches the view. And then, yes, zoom in. :)