Must it be chapter by chapter?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
GraceBuchanan

Post by GraceBuchanan »

Kevin, I'm glad that you brought this up.

At first, I thought that each chapter should be recorded as one section, as long as it fits on a CD.

Then, the arguments in favor of 15-minute sections made a lot of sense to me.

As I prepare to record my grandfather's autobiography, which is in the PD, I will take this into account. Some of his chapters are quite long, and probably could be broken up. I agree: as long as I keep the outro and intro brisk, smaller chapters can make a recording more accessible to people who have varied preferences. When the outro and intro are drawn out and clearly enunciated... then I find short chapters to be annoying!
My LibriVox publications

All Listeners: I welcome all feedback including word-perfect proofing
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

On intro-outro: use the abbreviated versions. :) Don't add your blog, location, year, or even "read by ..." until just the last outro.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I'm not sure what you mean by brisk - I personally find people racing through the intro most disruptive. And as has been said, in a Solo there is no need to identify yourself every chapter - introduce yourself first chapter if you wish , and in the outro of the last.
When we have had surveys about times, most results I have seen say about 30 minutes, but it does obviously depend on where you are listening and what you are listening to, informative information can need a break for both the listener and the reader (for example Gray's Anatomy), but a murder mystery with a 45 minute chapter broken up into 15 minute chunks would not only be annoying, it would not be the way the author wrote it - the chapter breaks are part of the plot usually.

Anne