First Post, 18 Minutes Recorded, Sound Quality?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Zelwood

Post by Zelwood »

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/therover_zelwood.mp3

Hi did my first recording is the sound quality up to standard? Just using a standard USB headset and worried about my computer fan noise. Already ran it through the standard filter.

Pronunciations are hard could use another reading. If you can do it all in 1 take you're a better reader than me.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Zelwood wrote: May 29th, 2020, 1:56 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/therover_zelwood.mp3

Hi did my first recording is the sound quality up to standard? Just using a standard USB headset and worried about my computer fan noise. Already ran it through the standard filter.

Pronunciations are hard could use another reading. If you can do it all in 1 take you're a better reader than me.
I think your recording is just fine, though it's too loud. You'll need to bring it down by 4dB to fall within LibriVox's parameters.

I have NEVER done anything in one take. Got close once with a ten-minute reading and choked at the end.

Most of my recordings are riddled with mistakes before editing.
Zelwood

Post by Zelwood »

Other guys are bragging about their Yeti's and sound booths. You can detect the fan noise can't you? As long as that is up to par i'll keep going but i need to know for sure now. It's actually quite a hassle to get my computer in another room, to get longer cables, or something. Thank you for your reply, KevinS.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Zelwood wrote: May 29th, 2020, 3:07 pm Other guys are bragging about their Yeti's and sound booths. You can detect the fan noise can't you? As long as that is up to par i'll keep going but i need to know for sure now. It's actually quite a hassle to get my computer in another room, to get longer cables, or something. Thank you for your reply, KevinS.
I hear no fan at all---and the volume is high. I hear a few 'mouth noises' but that's to be expected. If I were you, I'd run the recording through one more 'cleaning, but even that will make little difference. (It would just knock out the noises at the very beginning of your recording and some of the rest.)

I'm no expert, or even minimally accomplished, but I record with a heater (with fan) at my feet in a largish library at home. Not the best conditions for recording, but it seems to work.

March on!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

And keep in mind that we don't require professional quality here. A little fan noise won't disqualify you anyway - some places it might (Audible or professional voiceover gigs), but we're more... accessible.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

I personally don't mind a little fan noise, as long as they hold their applause until the end of the section.

Michael
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

:lol:
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Kazbek wrote: May 29th, 2020, 5:52 pm I personally don't mind a little fan noise, as long as they hold their applause until the end of the section.

Michael
Hahaha! And I just dodge tomatoes.
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

Hi Zel. I downloaded and reviewed your sample. It isn't just that the volume is too high; you are recording too loud to begin with. There's a lot of clipping - where the wave form exceeds the top and bottom of the window and gets chopped off. Clipping causes a buzzing-type distortion. So reduce your initial recording level; adjusting the volume after recording doesn't help. Otherwise, i think your recording sounds fine - good clarity and little background noise. Well done.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page