Copyright Issues - Can I Narrate This Book?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Dave182

Post by Dave182 »

It's been brought to my attention because I live in Australia, that I may not be able to read the following book.

Within You Is the Power (First Published -
by Henry Thomas Hamblin - (19 March 1873 – 28 October 1958)

I first found it here:
https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/search/?query=within+you+is+the+power

Here is what I think the relevant law is in Australia:
https://www.nla.gov.au/how-long-does-copyright-last
Having read it, I am still confused and do not know where I stand?

If you look at his list of books as stated in the following Wiki Link ... it suggest that the book title is very nearly or is now 100 years old ... although first published is listed as 1953 on Google (8 years before his death discounting the months)

Can I read this book as a solo project on this site?

Thank you for your assistance.
Looking for Constructive Criticism. Please PM CC via my profile. Thank You.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

The book is in the public domain in the United States, so it is OK for LibriVox. However, you should also follow the copyright laws of your own country. Since you are in Australia, that means 70 years after the author's death for authors who died after 1954. In this case Hamblin died in 1958, so his work is still protected by copyright in countries with death plus 70 (including Australia) until 2028.

edit - corrected to read "who died after 1954"
Jo
Dave182

Post by Dave182 »

Thank you the clarification.

You have restored my vigor. :)

If no objections, I will then go ahead when I am ready and create a post in the 'New Projects Launch Pad' forum category.
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Emphasis in the quote is mine -- t
knotyouraveragejo wrote: May 28th, 2020, 7:18 am The book is in the public domain in the United States, so it is OK for LibriVox. However, you should also follow the copyright laws of your own country. Since you are in Australia, that means 70 years after the author's death for authors born after 1954. In this case Hamblin died in 1958, so his work is still protected by copyright in countries with death plus 70 (including Australia) until 2028.
Jo,

Can you clarify a bit? How does "for authors born after 1954" play into Hamblin's work? He wasn't born after 1954... Also, it seems Dave is as confused as I would be by that explanation, and is going to move forward with recording that book (for which you seem to say a copyright still held in Australia). :?

Just curious.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Should be DIED after 1954. So it's still under copyright in Australia.
In this case Hamblin died in 1958, so his work is still protected by copyright in countries with death plus 70 (including Australia) until 2028.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Yes sorry for the confusion. As Tricia has noted, I meant to type died after 1954 - I've corrected my post. :roll:

ETA: I switch left and right all the time too... :wink:
Jo
Dave182

Post by Dave182 »

Thus far I have had no response to my 1-minute test. I appreciate it takes time, but given the issue of copyright laws being different 'in Australia' having 1st been brought to my attention - I feel compelled to ask:

... is there an admin of LibriVOX or someone with an authority, that could let me know if I am permitted to begin my solo project of this book.

With respect I do intent to narrate the book. My wife is encouraging me to complete my task, as she feels that act itself is not criminal. What we choose to do with the results is what matters. I would really like to put this to rest as my zest is once again feeling depleted. I mean not to be up and down ... but this is all become to conflicting for me.

It would seem like such a waste not to take advantage if a loop hole existed where the text I utilize from the public domain that LibriVOX source itself, could in fact be uploaded into a data base outside of Australia to be of use under the constraint of your AWESOME LibiVOX service.

I hope someone sense my tone in this and does not miss this post among the rest. If you feel you can help by contacting someone in the know among the LibriVOX ranks - please do put in a good word for me.

I leave this as is and hopefully when I return, it won't be to see a notification from another forum user telling me what is legal and what is not.

From my limited perspective it's all becoming too much.

Respectfully
Mr David Kynsaton.
AUSTRALIA.

I respect the positions of all involved and thank them for their concerns. I look forwards to finding out whether I can commence the chosen book or not. That is all that matters to me at this stage. Sorry for all the drama.
Last edited by Dave182 on May 28th, 2020, 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaleInTexas

Post by DaleInTexas »

Dave,
The two posts, above your last post, are from Librivox Admin, Tricia and Jo (look at their title, below their names- right side of each posted thread). I don't intend this reply to sound snarky, just wanted to let you know that you are already interacting with Admin.
Dale
Dale Latham
Down on the Poor Farm
https://twitter.com/dalelatham
Dave182

Post by Dave182 »

Not at all. I can sense your just trying to help.

My dyslexia is getting worse.

I'll tell you guys what. You have my one minute test. If you like what you hear (and think I have potential) feel free to PM me.

This past time was meant to be something I could use to assist my dyslexia. I also have got a diagnosis of autism since I last visited. I don't like bringing up my learning disabilities, but I am on a disability pension due to the impact is has on my life. So it is that I explain to say why I am struggling to follow along. The best part about my struggle is the benefit that I get and am having since taking back up audio narration is the huge improvement with my cognitive function. I have a real passion now - however the conflicting laws from one place to another are just too much for me. I will just do my own YouTube thing as others have done and are doing. If people out there want to make an issue about it - then that is fine ... I will do what I think is best for me.

Unless someone would like to take me under their wing like last time I had a go - I think all this is a good sign for me to go out on my own and once again - let whoever breach me on this or that. I am just a human being on the same planet as all you guys. If I get it wrong because I don't understand then I don't mind being labeled ignorant or whatever. Stigma is something I have lived with my whole life. I just don't have time for the complexities that this has all become.

Those that matter have my PM. If I can read that chosen book then all well and good. It would also be nice to have someone take me under their wing. I don't bite and with the right person I learn quick. If on the other hand - you find I am in breach reading that book and having it on LibriVOX then fair enough. I like to keep things simple but it would seem because I live in Australia ... it's just going to be more work for me and just another worry.

This format is really hard for me. Private Message I am better in - The setting up of hardware and software no problem. (I run a charity computer business with my wife) I was able to follow the instruction of the 1 minute test ... but once again the format here ... has become too much.

Scrolling back and sifting through text is not my thing. Too much friction in my head. It's enough to know that admin was already involved.

Best wishes and all that.

Take Care ;)
Leesma

Post by Leesma »

My question has undoubtedly been asked a gazillion times.

This book: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/61645/61645-h/61645-h.htm titled "New York: Confidential!", shows that the copyright is 1948 and 1951. Does the fact that it's been digitized by Project Gutenberg make it an OK project for LibriVox?
Eschew obfuscation.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Leesma wrote: June 5th, 2020, 1:31 pm My question has undoubtedly been asked a gazillion times.

This book: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/61645/61645-h/61645-h.htm titled "New York: Confidential!", shows that the copyright is 1948 and 1951. Does the fact that it's been digitized by Project Gutenberg make it an OK project for LibriVox?
Yes, you may. Gutenberg.org is a good source for a good number of LV recordings. (That is not the case with the Gutenberg-Australia site which is a horse of another color.)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Leesma wrote: June 5th, 2020, 1:31 pm My question has undoubtedly been asked a gazillion times.

Check the "bibrec" tab on the main project page: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/61645
It says there the the copyright status is "PD in the USA", so it's OK for LibriVox.

(Gutenberg has a few - a very few - books that aren't PD but are there by permission of the copyright holder, so it's good to double check the bibrec tab. One that's on PG but copyrighted is The Trial by Kafka.)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Leesma

Post by Leesma »

Never knew about the bibrec tab. (Something new every day) Thanks Tricia!
Eschew obfuscation.