Seeking Help to Find Spiritual Books

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Dave182

Post by Dave182 »

I would of posted in the Books Suggestion section, however I am more asking for help to find spiritual books rather than naming books I don't know.

I found one book:
Within You is the Power, by Henry Thomas Hamblin

However this is a recent title which seems to be quite uncommon.

I like books on spirituality (not common religions)

I will try my hand with the above title that I have listed, but was wondering if anyone might know of one or two more spiritual books in the domain that are not based on main stream regions?
Looking for Constructive Criticism. Please PM CC via my profile. Thank You.
schrm

Post by schrm »

Dave182 wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 5:54 am I would of posted in the Books Suggestion section, however I am more asking for help to find spiritual books rather than naming books I don't know.

I found one book:

I will try my hand with the above title that I have listed, but was wondering if anyone might know of one or two more spiritual books in the domain that are not based on main stream regions?
your suggestion was first published in 1953 - so it is probably not in the pd... do you have a project gutenberg source?

we have a suggestions-subforum, where you can search the subforum, only with the small search bar on the upper left corner and get these results: search.php?keywords=spiritual&fid%5B0%5D=1

and this is what i found on archive, published pre-1924, keywords easy living. you have to double-check: is the publishing year on the (first pages of the) scan? and in case you are outside of the usa you have to respect the laws in yourcountry (most countries have a law like year of death of author and translator +70 years)
search results

with keywords like spiritual you can find some promising results like these: search results

edit: and last but not least colleen brought up this find from 2010, with a project gutenberg source! but: the title isn't very spiritual, the contents may be:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29821

also, some philosophy related texts could be in your area?

or topics which sound religious, but are more a scientific (or a psychological) approach?
or some religious texts which deal with other religions?

hope, i could help!
cheers,
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Would the New Thought Movement (err, I don't think they like to be called a "movement") be something you'd like?
Big, Ugly Link to Archive Search
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
Dave182

Post by Dave182 »

schrm wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 10:12 am
Dave182 wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 5:54 am I would of posted in the Books Suggestion section, however I am more asking for help to find spiritual books rather than naming books I don't know.

I found one book:

your suggestion was first published in 1953 - so it is probably not in the pd... do you have a project gutenberg source?

we have a suggestions-subforum, where you can search the subforum, only with the small search bar on the upper left corner and get these results: search.php?keywords=spiritual&fid%5B0%5D=1

and this is what i found on archive, published pre-1924, keywords easy living. you have to double-check: is the publishing year on the (first pages of the) scan? and in case you are outside of the usa you have to respect the laws in yourcountry (most countries have a law like year of death of author and translator +70 years)
search results

with keywords like spiritual you can find some promising results like these: search results

edit: and last but not least colleen brought up this find from 2010, with a project gutenberg source! but: the title isn't very spiritual, the contents may be:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29821

also, some philosophy related texts could be in your area?

or topics which sound religious, but are more a scientific (or a psychological) approach?
or some religious texts which deal with other religions?

hope, i could help!
cheers,
Thank You. That was very helpful.
Dave182

Post by Dave182 »

TriciaG wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 10:54 am Would the New Thought Movement (err, I don't think they like to be called a "movement") be something you'd like?
Most excellent. Glad I asked.

One or two of the scanned pages are missing letters which I have been unable to make out the words. Nevertheless, I can really gel with that book. Exactly the type of thing I was looking for. TY.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Dave182 wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 3:44 pm
TriciaG wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 10:54 am Would the New Thought Movement (err, I don't think they like to be called a "movement") be something you'd like?
Most excellent. Glad I asked.

One or two of the scanned pages are missing letters which I have been unable to make out the words. Nevertheless, I can really gel with that book. Exactly the type of thing I was looking for. TY.
There should be several/many books in that search link, and possibly one or more copies of the same book, so if one is missing some of the text, another might have the whole thing. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
Dave182

Post by Dave182 »

I was hoping that might be the case. I also found the one I was looking for in the public domain:

https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/search/?query=Within+You+Is+the+Power

Seems like there is a genre for me to try my hand at this art after all. I joined some time ago, but then had to give up due to family constraints.

Looking forward to getting in some practice.

Thx again.
ZekeTheDog

Post by ZekeTheDog »

Helena Blavotsky took much a similar approach in her belief that All religions were but a shadow of a greater spirituality. Though liked by some and disdained by many, I think her work might be the sort of thing you are looking for. In particular, her 4 volume work "The secret doctrine" which is available on Gutenberg. the first one here https://www.gutenberg.org/files/54824/54824-pdf.pdf. I, as a christian, disagree with her on much, but if you are looking for an influential piece that is comprehensible to a modern ear and dedicated to an analysis of spirituality then she is a good place to start.

Edit: okay, to say I disagree with her on much is an understatement, more like pretty much everything. nevertheless, her work is very influential in its time and you still see lots of references to it in today's culture. though most probably don't recognize where it comes from. At any rate it is definitely worth a read.
Last edited by ZekeTheDog on May 24th, 2020, 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

ZekeTheDog wrote: May 24th, 2020, 1:46 pm Helena Blavotsky took much a similar approach in her belief that All religions were but a shadow of a greater spirituality. Though liked by some and disdained by many, I think her work might be the sort of thing you are looking for. In particular, her 4 volume work "The secret doctrine" which is available on Gutenberg. the first one here https://www.gutenberg.org/files/54824/54824-pdf.pdf. I, as a christian, disagree with her on much, but if you are looking for an influential piece that is comprehensible to a modern ear and dedicated to an analysis of spirituality then she is a good place to start.
This link might be a bit cleaner: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/54824
ZekeTheDog

Post by ZekeTheDog »

This link might be a bit cleaner: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/54824
That's fair.
Dave182

Post by Dave182 »

ZekeTheDog wrote: May 24th, 2020, 1:46 pm Helena Blavotsky took much a similar approach in her belief that All religions were but a shadow of a greater spirituality. Though liked by some and disdained by many, I think her work might be the sort of thing you are looking for. In particular, her 4 volume work "The secret doctrine" which is available on Gutenberg. the first one here https://www.gutenberg.org/files/54824/54824-pdf.pdf. I, as a christian, disagree with her on much, but if you are looking for an influential piece that is comprehensible to a modern ear and dedicated to an analysis of spirituality then she is a good place to start.

Edit: okay, to say I disagree with her on much is an understatement, more like pretty much everything. nevertheless, her work is very influential in its time and you still see lots of references to it in today's culture. though most probably don't recognize where it comes from. At any rate it is definitely worth a read.
Thanks for the recommendation. I do find the spiritual genre one I can connect with; despite my own prejudice. My first two attempted recordings back when I first gave librvox a try, imo failed miserably because I did not understand what I was reading - and of course my inexperience. Regardless of the times I find myself resistant when reading challenging claims often to be found within different teachings, the spiritual genre is one I can connect with. As someone who is often anxious, this category seemingly allows my pent up voice to be much more relaxed. Hopefully this time around I can stick at it longer having now found something of personal interest.

Thx again. :)
Last edited by Dave182 on May 25th, 2020, 4:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dave182

Post by Dave182 »

Thx mightyfelix,

Much appreciated. :thumbs: