Overwhelming numbers

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
dgplugge

Post by dgplugge » May 12th, 2020, 12:39 pm

Good afternoon,

I've been a member for some time, but only recently decided to become active in recording. I'm very excited.

The number of choices and options are overwhelming. And so, so many members.

I'd like to start a friends list, but I'm not sure how to start. Do members know if you friend them? Is there any advantage to having a friends list, other than quick access?

Any advice on gently warming up to a smaller group of like minded members?

Sincerely,
Donald G Plugge
“The fact that a great many people believe something is no guarantee of its truth.”
W. Somerset Maugham, The Razor's Edge

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » May 12th, 2020, 12:55 pm

I have my mother as a "Friend" but that's the only person. It does nothing for me. I see no advantage to it. And I am 99% sure people don't get notified if you've made them a "friend" or "foe".

I think the way to get to know like-minded readers/members is to get involved in projects you like. Eventually you may find the same people over and over in similar projects.

Honestly, though, I don't consider this as really an ideal place to get to know people. While that's a side benefit, it is more of a hive of busy bees to me than a cocktail party. :lol:
One Mystery Story Left: Master of Mysteries
Mussolini's speeches thru 1923: LINK
Samuel Smiles Self-Help: Character

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » May 12th, 2020, 1:43 pm

very well put tricia. We are just busy, busy bees, all working together to make that wonderfully sweet honey of audiobooks. Even us drones chip in. Image
Phil Chenevert, The LibriVox Video Guy

Why was Pavlov's hair so soft? Cause he conditioned it of course.

Pssss! Some Tutorial Videos here. Take a peek.

dgplugge

Post by dgplugge » May 12th, 2020, 3:28 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Tricia, I'm sure your mother appreciates your "friendship". Smile.

I have a few favorite poems, like "A Psalm of Life" by Longfellow and "She Walks in Beauty" by Lord Byron. I'll continue searching about here and there. Perhaps record something soon.

Don
“The fact that a great many people believe something is no guarantee of its truth.”

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » May 12th, 2020, 3:44 pm

there is a Longfellow poem as the weekly poem over here viewtopic.php?f=19&t=79892 . That's a really good place to start :D

Anne

KevinS

Post by KevinS » May 12th, 2020, 5:19 pm

From the FAQ: "Members added to your friends list will be listed within your User Control Panel for quick access to see their online status and to send them private messages."

My memory isn't so bad ... yet ... that I would need this function.

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » May 12th, 2020, 5:29 pm

That is correct - but we do encourage people to conduct all possible LV business in the open forums - no secret deals behind the curtains please, no selecting the readers you want for group projects etc. Everyone starts a project fully intending to finish it but real life intervenes at times and it is much easier for someone else to take over and finish the project if there have not been secret deals via PM.

Anne

dgplugge

Post by dgplugge » May 12th, 2020, 5:53 pm

Anne, thank you. That Longfellow link looks like a wonderful starting point.

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » May 12th, 2020, 7:43 pm

TriciaG wrote:
May 12th, 2020, 12:55 pm
I think the way to get to know like-minded readers/members is to get involved in projects you like. Eventually you may find the same people over and over in similar projects.
I couldn't agree with this more. There is a small handful of people here that I've come to consider friends, and that's exactly how I found them.