Can I translate the project template?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

I'd like to start a collaborative project in Russian for Afanasyev's fairy tale collection. We don't seem to get many new Russian-speaking readers, but I think this project would be a good one to attract new contributors. The sections will be relatively short, it will be based on an 8-volume edition with manageable volume size, and the texts will be largely familiar to the readers. There's an existing form of intro/outro in Russian, but there's no Russian version of template in the template generator. Can I generate the template in English and then replace it with a Russian translation to lower the language barrier? Russian is my first language.

Michael
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Unfortunately we will not be able to incorporate it to the automatic template generator, but it can be added to the wiki so it can be copied and pasted into a new post in the LaunchPad. The details of the specific project will need to be inserted manually by the BC.
Jo
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: May 10th, 2020, 11:28 am Unfortunately we will not be able to incorporate it to the automatic template generator, but it can be added to the wiki so it can be copied and pasted into a new post in the LaunchPad. The details of the specific project will need to be inserted manually by the BC.
While translating the instructions, I realized that we'd also want to translate the Newbie Guide, since they wouldn't be of much use for readers who are not comfortable with English otherwise. We're also discussing translating the guide into Italian. How should we go about it? I can view the wiki source code, and I can test it in a MediaWiki sandbox (except for internal links), but I can't edit the LV wiki itself. I'm guessing only the admins can. Should I paste the code into a forum message and let an admin access it from the source code of my post?

Michael
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

On the first page of the wiki, there is a list of admins you can pm to get your own wiki account. :D
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Thanks! Sometimes I wonder if my life would be different if I started to read instructions instead of guessing how things work. :mrgreen:

Michael
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

It might even make a change for lots of people around you. :twisted:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Well, of course. As a true LVer, I would have to read them out loud. :mrgreen:

Michael
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

:lol: :thumbs:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

:hmm: A true LVer does not pay attention to what they are reading, just letting text be converted to sounds, eyes to voice, like a good typist in the old times - eyes/ears to fingers...
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

If someone is interested some time, we do have a collection of responses for people who email wanting information . We have them in many languages but not in Russian and google translate can be rather confusing for this type of thing. So a translation would be nice to have.
Thanks for the interest in LibriVox ... All our volunteering activity happens on our internet forums (book selection, volunteering to read chapters, project management etc). So the best thing to do is to read through this short document:
https://librivox.org/pages/volunteer-for-librivox/

And then visit our forums, register, and post somewhere, someone should answer your questions quickly if you have any:
https://forum.librivox.org/

We suggest you start with short works first (Weekly Poetry is a good place to start), and then try longer works. If you do not wish to record, you can also help by proof-listening, or editing, and in many other ways.

Let me know if you have any troubles!

All the best,
Anne
maybe good to link to any translations we have instead of English ones

Anne
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

If Michael wants to share the workload, I'll be happy to help. I lost (hopefully temporarily) my recording capabilities, would like to be useful in some other way.

For now, what you quoted can be made into Russian this way:
Спасибо, что поинтересовались проектом ЛибриВокс ... Все наши добровольческие дела происходят в наших сетевых форумах (выбор книг, взятие на себя чтение глав, управление проектами и т.д.). Лучше всего начать с прочтения вот этой короткой странички:
https://librivox.org/pages/volunteer-for-librivox/

Затем посетите наши форумы, зарегистрируйтесь и напишите в какой-либо, и кто-нибудь вскоре ответит на Ваши вопросы, если они у Вас возникли или возникнут:
https://forum.librivox.org/

Рекомендуем начать с коротких произведений (хорошее место для этого - Weekly Poetry), а потом попробовать работы подлиннее. Если Вы не желаете записывать своё чтение, Вы можете помочь проверочным прослушиванием, редактированием, или как-то иначе.

Дайте знать, если у Вас возникнут трудности!

С наилучшими пожеланиями,
Anne
I hope Michael, Mark, maybe others, will proof-read.

BTW, do the pages linked in this short introduction exist in Russian?
Last edited by tovarisch on May 25th, 2020, 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tovarisch
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Perfect! I would be glad to have a second pair of eyes or hands, in part because I've been dealing with computers mainly in English for the last 30 years, so my Russian usage in this area may not be entirely up to date. I've just translated some of the instructions, and now I'll need to reduce my LV bandwidth for the next week or two due to competing priorities. I'll share what I have so far over PM.

Michael
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Sorry, I edited my previous post, so here is a bump that you take a look at it again.
tovarisch
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Looks good! I have one suggestion: в какой-либо из них. It's not entirely clear to me to what extent the Russian version of this message should be a translation rather than adaptation, but I think we should have translations of essential materials in all languages, on the wiki if not on the main site.

In particular, I've sketched out a Russian version of the 1-minute test script. Looking at the existing versions in other languages, they aren't translations of the English script, but rather only loosely related texts full of plosives and sibilants. I'm actually not sure if "p" is a particularly problematic sound in Russian, since it's not aspirated, unlike the English p. Anyway, here's my attempt:

Петрушка и Пульчинелла потратили прошлую субботу записывая прекрасную пьессу для ЛибриВокс. К сожалению, после проверки их записи, слушательница Снегурочка сообщила на форуме что на записи ничего не слышно, так как это была пантомима. Вы слушаете проверoчную запись, которую сделал(а) ВАШЕ ИМЯ. Если бы это была настоящая запись сделанная для ЛибриВокс, вы бы услышали какой нибудь текст, который опубликован, является общественным достоянием, и наверное весьма интересен.

Michael
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Kazbek wrote: May 25th, 2020, 7:46 pm I have one suggestion: в какой-либо из них.
Sure. Makes the sentence more complete.
Kazbek wrote: May 25th, 2020, 7:46 pm Петрушка и Пульчинелла потратили прошлую субботу записывая прекрасную пьессу для ЛибриВокс. К сожалению, после проверки их записи, слушательница Снегурочка сообщила на форуме что на записи ничего не слышно, так как это была пантомима. Вы слушаете проверoчную запись, которую сделал(а) ВАШЕ ИМЯ. Если бы это была настоящая запись сделанная для ЛибриВокс, вы бы услышали какой нибудь текст, который опубликован, является общественным достоянием, и наверное весьма интересен.
I agree about the plosives. I would remove the "сделанная" before "для Либривокс", sounds like a repetition. Before publishing the final translation, please run a grammar check ("пьеса", запятая перед "что"). The last sentence can be rewritten a bit, like "Если б это была настоящая запись для ЛибриВокс, это был бы опубликованный текст, в общественном достоянии и, наверное, весьма интересный." Just a bit smoother rolling IMHO.
tovarisch