How much of an Audacity expert do I need to be to record?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
BWoodvig

Post by BWoodvig » May 7th, 2020, 11:57 am

I know point-and-click when it comes to noise reduction but I was watching a video on YouTube and the gentleman was doing what I thought looked like really advanced stuff on Audacity to make sure that his recordings are quiet. And he was doing all these other things throughout his recording to get his sound levels the same. If I have to be able to do all that I feel like I'd need to take an Audacity course or something.

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » May 7th, 2020, 1:47 pm

"All of that" is totally optional! We have some technical requirements that we have to meet on all of our recordings, such as having approximately the right volume, being saved in the right format, etc. We'll help you get all of that set up. That's what the one-minute test is for.

It's also nice if the recording is relatively free of background noise, but we won't ask you to be perfectionist about it. One or two passes with Audacity's noise reduction feature is all it takes for most people. And don't worry, it's easy to use! We'll also help you with that in your one-minute test, if it seems that you need it.

There are tons of helpful links, videos, how-tos, etc in our wiki should you want to try to learn some other features and effects. And even better, there are tons of helpful people who'd love to help you if you run into trouble.

But rest assured, we're not professionals, and we're not asking you to be one! I urge you to make a one-minute test, if you haven't already, and I bet you'll be feeling more confident in no time!

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » May 7th, 2020, 3:49 pm

You do NOT need to be an expert to use Audacity and record for LibriVox. True, some things look confusing and stuff but it is not beyond your ability. Heck, even I have learned to use it! Here is a sample of my simplistic approach to editing and it gets me by. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9NuSuWYaWg&feature=youtu.be Keep asking questions and do not, under any circumstances, become discouraged. We want your voice here. :thumbs:
Phil Chenevert, The LibriVox Video Guy

Why was Pavlov's hair so soft? Cause he conditioned it of course.

Pssss! Some Tutorial Videos here. Take a peek.

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » May 7th, 2020, 4:24 pm

The majority of people who come here have never recorded in their life. But love books. How much they want to be involved in the technical side of recording and advanced editing is completely up to them. It's a bit like cars, once you can drive it's up to you what you want from your cars, some people want it to start and get them where they want to go, others enjoy knowing everything about their engines and enjoy nothing more than sitting around discussing them and casting pitying looks on people who don't care as long as it works or telling those people what is wrong with the car they have. There will be both sorts around the forum, you just need to choose how much you want to take notice of, remembering that we are about recording PD books - not technical perfection. Early on I was told to think of it as reading a story to a friend.
And if you come across criticism remember that is only their opinion not a fact.

Anne

BWoodvig

Post by BWoodvig » May 8th, 2020, 7:06 am

Thank you!! I will give it the old college try. :clap: