Recording for librivox

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Kylad

Post by Kylad » April 25th, 2020, 4:16 pm

Does it work to record for librivox on my phone? Or does it have to be on a computer?

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » April 25th, 2020, 4:44 pm

Kylad wrote:
April 25th, 2020, 4:16 pm
Does it work to record for librivox on my phone? Or does it have to be on a computer?
There is no rule stating that you must record on your computer. However, using a phone would take some consideration. You would need to make sure that you could get your voice picked up understandably and be able to filter out background noise. Also, you would need some way to edit your recordings and make sure that you could export to the correct settings, which likely would happen in an editor on your computer. I used to record to my phone using headphones with a built in mic then send it over to Audacity on my computer for editing/exporting.
Campbell
pronouns: they/them

Kylad

Post by Kylad » April 25th, 2020, 6:24 pm

Alright! Thanks for the information.

Apsie15

Post by Apsie15 » May 1st, 2020, 8:27 am

Good day! Can you suggest an editor in a smart phone that might help? Thank you in advance☺️
WeAreTheChange

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » May 1st, 2020, 8:39 am

I personally have no experience editing on a smartphone, but I am sure there are apps available. Do you have an iPhone, Android, or something else? On my iPhone I have an app called Voice Record that I can record in, and it looks like it has some basic editing capabilities. You would need to make sure that you record in a noise free environment as I do not believe it has a background noise feature. It also may take some time to adjust to get to the right volume, but I believe you can get the tech settings right on this. I just played with it and turns out you can cut out mistakes, though it may take a bit more time than a computer. Hope this helps!
Campbell

Apsie15

Post by Apsie15 » May 1st, 2020, 8:42 am

Mine is android😔
WeAreTheChange

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » May 1st, 2020, 8:47 am

Maybe somebody else has more experience with Androids than I do. I did a quick search and found a list of some of the best free audio editing apps for Android:

https://www.apowersoft.com/free-android-audio-editing-apps.html

Note, I don't know for sure if any of these apps can get to the right technical specifications needed. If you were to pick one you would have to make sure it did.
Campbell

Apsie15

Post by Apsie15 » May 1st, 2020, 9:00 am

Oh. Thank you very much! What a great help. Thank you again☺️
WeAreTheChange

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » May 1st, 2020, 9:24 am

Every once in awhile, for the last couple of years, someone asks about this, and I don't know whether anyone has yet successfully used their phone to record, edit, and upload. But I'd be very interested to know whether you do manage to figure it out. Phones seem to be getting better and better all the time, so I'm sure it will just be a matter of time before someone develops an app that can be used for LV.

Please keep us posted, and let us know what you figure out!

Apsie15

Post by Apsie15 » May 1st, 2020, 10:12 am

Okay sir! I will do my part.
WeAreTheChange

sjmarky

Post by sjmarky » May 2nd, 2020, 11:11 am

How to record on a phone:

https://youtu.be/6qG6zUTYfbc
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » May 2nd, 2020, 1:22 pm

sjmarky wrote:
May 2nd, 2020, 11:11 am
How to record on a phone:

https://youtu.be/6qG6zUTYfbc
Looks like this only applies to iOS devices. Which is better than nothing, of course, but good to note for those who don't use Apple products. Thanks for the link.

loon

Post by loon » May 3rd, 2020, 5:34 pm

1)
I can think of one plus side of recording on your phone and editing on a laptop or desktop later - your computer may be located near a noise source or may itself have annoying fans inside. You can take your phone to a place with nice acoustics - perhaps inside that closet storing all your winter sweaters and fuzzy things.

2)
Apple products have a theoretical advantage over Android phones/tablets: Apple controls both the hardware and software, so the designers can count on certain specs on the other side of the hardware/software wall. A result of this - it's fairly common to see PA sound techs using an iOS device with an app as a 'kinda calibrated' spectrum analyzer to 'kinda' measure how their PA setup is doing in the hall they're working in that day. I've never seen anyone using an Android to do that kind of thing.
Rich Brown
FullLoon.com

Apsie15

Post by Apsie15 » May 3rd, 2020, 7:05 pm

That's sad but I'll still try sir😊
WeAreTheChange

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » May 4th, 2020, 11:32 am

Loon,

1)
I can think of at least one downside of recording on a different device than the one on which you edit: what are you going to do when you need to re-record a tiny bit (discovered while editing)? Run to the closet for a few seconds ever so often? Collect all instances and then schedule another session in the closet? :roll:

2)
What if Apple products "advantage" is not theoretical, but marketing hype? Times when Apple "controlled" both hardware and software have passed. Apps are made by everybody nowadays, not by Apple. Same hardware is used in Android devices (made by some So. Korean or Chinese corporation). And, how many different PA sound techs have you actually personally observed "doing that kind of thing"? Just curious. How many different PA tech companies did they represent?

Apsie15,

Start by trying to record at your desk, on your computer. That's the simplest thing. Seek other ways only if that one fails. You'll know.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please