Why are my recordings so muddy?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

RealisticSpeaker
However...where did you record this, in a city restaurant during happy hour?
The background noise, the conversations, and the general din behind you would not pass any production specs.
Learning Ally is almost as lax as Librivox...almost, so it was surprising, nay shocking to read your post.

But that background din is distracting. Kids are try'na study here!
LOL! I think you have put your finger on a lot of my problems. No, I don't record in a busy restaurant but have indeed become very lax in recording when my wife is watching TV in a nearby room. I am her caretaker and can keep an 'ear' on her easily that way and feel comfortable knowing where she is and that she is OK. Obviously my brain tunes out the TV drone and just stays alert for any problem she may have, but my microphone does not do that. It picks up all those conversations and sounds drifting in from the next room. This I can fix by recording only when she is sleeping and the TV is copletely off. I thank you very much for the feedback. :thumbs:
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

Your recording doesn't seem muddy to me, either. It is just a tad heavy on the bass end, so I tried a hi pass filter set at about 96hz which lightened it up a bit, but honestly, I think it sounds fine as-is.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

philchenevert wrote: April 3rd, 2020, 8:50 am This I can fix by recording only when she is sleeping and the TV is copletely off. I thank you very much for the feedback. :thumbs:
Best regards.
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
DACSoft

Post by DACSoft »

Phil,

I agree with all the rest ... doesn't sound muddy to me. Actually quite good for a raw file.

I "binged" Literature/Learning Ally (if that's the one you referred to). Looking at their site, they have fairly stringent requirements and high expectations for acceptance of volunteer readers, IMHO. Much higher level of perfection than I would ever qualify for, especially for volunteer work. :D

I'm glad we have LV!

Good luck to you,
Don
Don (DACSoft)
Bringing the Baseball Joe series to audio!

In Progress:
The Arrival of Jimpson; Baseball Joe in the World Series
Next up:
Two College Friends; Baseball Joe Around the World
schrm

Post by schrm »

i can show two recordings in a book i read, where one is described as muddy, the other not:
muddy:
https://ia803004.us.archive.org/15/items/benno_stehkragen_1904_librivox/bennostehkragen_00_ettlinger_128kb.mp3
not muddy:
https://ia803004.us.archive.org/15/items/benno_stehkragen_1904_librivox/bennostehkragen_16_ettlinger_128kb.mp3

this mic was described as muddy in the reviews, on youtube, and so on. it hasa strange hall or echoe effect, sounds like speaking in a tin, and is pure plastics quality, a sort of shell, badly isolated, with a bad mic.
in short, it was the mic.
i'm absolutely no techie and don't know, if i would be able to edit it with equalizers and other fancy stuff.

it would have been a good beginner mic without any alternatives..
but since my laptop has a better one built in, and since i bought another one..
problem solved.
the muddy mic is just low quality for a low, bad and not good prize.

i honestly doubt, that that is relevant for your mic, though.
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275