bc-ing a book with a mini-play

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
schrm

Post by schrm » March 30th, 2020, 7:52 am

hi,

i have participated in mini plays in german, but that is not much in experience...

now i want to bc a book, which has a chapter in it, which is a dialogue.
there are some other mini play parts in this book too.. which are part of normal text and can be read by a single reader.
so, i am hesitant on how to deal with that.

1. thought: it is easier to bc the whole book as normal, divided into sections which reads a single reader
2. thought: i could bc this single chapter play as a play?
3. thought: better to make a second project for this chapter

and my 4. thought was me trying to get back to a more realistic base:
it is easier for everyone, to bc that as a normal chapter, divided into sections, which reads a single reader

any thoughts on this?

/reader/12275
cc welcome! my skills improve from pl notes that cite when my english pronunciation is way off, or when words are missing.
thx!

en: lay down your arms, essays on art by goethe

de: sammlung prosa, rousseau, hoffmann: sommerfrische

KevinS

Post by KevinS » March 30th, 2020, 8:15 am

I think we could make a better recommendation or provide better suggestions if we could see the book. Have you a link to it?
What? What's that? Why are you shouting?

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » March 30th, 2020, 8:23 am

I think there are two viable options:

1. Just have a single reader record the chapter(s), and read the parts straight, saying the character names at the start of each line.

2. Breaking up each dialogue/play into its separate characters and having different people read each character. Then someone would have to edit it all together like a regular play project.

Personally, on a "regular" book, as a BC, I prefer to do option #1. It's simpler, and it's less confusing.

Here is a project I'm MC'ing that has 3 such mini-plays, sections 10, 12, 15: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=77904 You can see how this BC has set up the Magic Window.
Mystery/PulpFic: Dope, by Sax Rohmer
The one that started them all: Self-Help, by Samuel Smiles
Elizabethan Poetry: The Psalmes of David
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5
Short essays: Elia, and The Last Essays of Elia

schrm

Post by schrm » March 30th, 2020, 8:31 am

TriciaG wrote:
March 30th, 2020, 8:23 am
I think there are two viable options:

1. Just have a single reader record the chapter(s), and read the parts straight, saying the character names at the start of each line.

2. Breaking up each dialogue/play into its separate characters and having different people read each character. Then someone would have to edit it all together like a regular play project.

Personally, on a "regular" book, as a BC, I prefer to do option #1. It's simpler, and it's less confusing.

Here is a project I'm MC'ing that has 3 such mini-plays, sections 10, 12, 15: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=77904 You can see how this BC has set up the Magic Window.
thx tricia, will go idea-stealing :-D
KevinS wrote:
March 30th, 2020, 8:15 am
I think we could make a better recommendation or provide better suggestions if we could see the book. Have you a link to it?
https://archive.org/details/essaysonart1862goet/page/n11/mode/2up

i think the book is over my skill and experience levels in general.
and who knows, when our quarantine is ending - then i won't have the time to pl, eg.
i can break it up into small parts, though.
but all in all im relying on english readers for the whole project...
instead of "being able to make it like half of a solo", which should be an approach to some bc projects.

so far, i discovered two mini plays.
one is chapter
5. upon truth and probability in works of art
start p118 end p126
- 2 parts ~1200w (265 words per page on average)
- or play 3 roles + editor: intro, the friend of the artist, spectator

/reader/12275
cc welcome! my skills improve from pl notes that cite when my english pronunciation is way off, or when words are missing.
thx!

KevinS

Post by KevinS » March 30th, 2020, 9:12 am

schrm, I hope you will go ahead with this. As for Chapter 5, I will happily volunteer to do the editing. If the readers are careful to place 5 seconds of silence between their lines, then it should not be difficult. I could even read one of the parts. (I will be happy to help with the construction of the MW, too, though your MC would have the best advice and final word.)

Another option for this book---not entirely satisfactory, I think---would be to submit one or two of the essays to the short non-fiction collection, though I would inquire first if this would be welcomed.

schrm

Post by schrm » March 30th, 2020, 9:18 am

KevinS wrote:
March 30th, 2020, 9:12 am
schrm, I hope you will go ahead with this. As for Chapter 5, I will happily volunteer to do the editing. If the readers are careful to place 5 seconds of silence between their lines, then it should not be difficult. I could even read one of the parts. (I will be happy to help with the construction of the MW, too, though your MC would have the best advice and final word.)

Another option for this book---not entirely satisfactory, I think---would be to submit one or two of the essays to the short non-fiction collection, though I would inquire first if this would be welcomed.
true, that the essays could be in a collection..

but it is an interesting book and i thank you kevin for your offer.
editing is some work and i know (that despite your reading list would be one for years for me) you are delivering 10 times more, faster and better than i ever could.

please, let me try to figure it out for some days and i come back to answer your offer, ok?

/reader/12275
thx!

ej400

Post by ej400 » March 30th, 2020, 11:37 am

It is much easier to do option one which Tricia has mentioned
However, option two
2. Breaking up each dialogue/play into its separate characters and having different people read each character. Then someone would have to edit it all together like a regular play project,
shows us that it has been done before. I have PL'ed in a book before that had multiple chapters where the dialogue was broken into an "act," or "play." But also take a look at some of the DR's we have had before. Sometimes there aren't any characters until as late as chapter 3, or 4. Straight narration for 2 or three chapters! There are other books where the narrator barely has any lines (like plays... but that's obvious). So I would say a book that is collaborative for the first couple parts and then turns into an "act," wouldn't be horrible. I think it would be a great idea. It's like having multiple narrators, which I have also seen before.

schrm

Post by schrm » April 4th, 2020, 1:20 pm

ej400 wrote:
March 30th, 2020, 11:37 am
thank you elijah, you motivated me!
KevinS wrote:
i posted it in the launchpad, it is here: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=79012
but please, i will need some days before... anything is possible :-D

thank you kevin!

/reader/12275
thx!

KevinS

Post by KevinS » April 4th, 2020, 1:59 pm

schrm wrote:
April 4th, 2020, 1:20 pm
ej400 wrote:
March 30th, 2020, 11:37 am
thank you elijah, you motivated me!
KevinS wrote:
i posted it in the launchpad, it is here: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=79012
but please, i will need some days before... anything is possible :-D

thank you kevin!
I cannot wait! (Well, I guess I will have to wait.)

These are nice short sections.

schrm

Post by schrm » April 4th, 2020, 2:24 pm

KevinS wrote:
April 4th, 2020, 1:59 pm

I cannot wait! (Well, I guess I will have to wait.)

These are nice short sections.
i thought, so a section should not hurt too much.
i read some 1.000 sections in english myself the last weeks - it is a foreign language and much more work to do, but i think, 1.000 words are rather ok..

:mrgreen: it makes me a little bit nervous, to be honest.
in the english forums, i never know what to expect...
:lol:

good night from tyrol!

/reader/12275
thx!