Help for a newbie who wants to make a recording

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
dso371

Post by dso371 » March 28th, 2020, 9:18 am

Hello everyone, I’ve just registered and would like to use quarantine time to make a video recording of a small book. This particular book hasn’t been done before. Do I need to go through some kind of approval process for the project, or can I just go ahead and record it and then upload it, and if so to which folder would I upload it?

Many thanks, and sorry for my ignorance,
David

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » March 28th, 2020, 9:21 am

First, please do the 1-minute test to be sure your settings are correct.

Making a solo recording is one of the more complicated tasks here, because you are in charge of the project rather than having someone keep the Magic Window updated for you. So it helps to know what you're doing. ;) For this reason we recommend recording and getting an OK on at least a section or two in a group project first before embarking on a solo.

Then read and heed this thread: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=13513

Welcome, have fun, and good luck!

P.S. VIDEO recording? We don't do video...

P.P.S. Is the book out of copyright? What is it?
Mystery/PulpFic: Dope, by Sax Rohmer
The one that started them all: Self-Help, by Samuel Smiles
Elizabethan Poetry: The Psalmes of David
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5
Short essays: Elia, and The Last Essays of Elia

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » March 28th, 2020, 9:38 am

If you've got your heart set on video, I'd say do it, as long as you know you won't get in trouble legally.

However, you probably won't find much help or support here. As Tricia said, we don't do video here. There are some YouTubers you have taken our audio recordings and added images to put on YouTube, but as far as I know, no one here is directly involved with that.

But if an audio recording is something you'd like to try, then you're definitely in the right place! In that case, all I can do is to echo Tricia's advice: start with the one minute test, then pick a section or two in a group project once your test is approved. You'll find lots of help and support in a project like that, to get you accustomed to the process.

dso371

Post by dso371 » March 29th, 2020, 9:58 am

Thanks so much for the replies. Sorry, of course I meant *audio*, not video LOL.

The booklet I want to record is the Penny Catechism (London, 1921 edition), which hasn’t been done before.

I will do a one-minute test when my new microphone arrives, and if that’s okayed I’ll start a project and do a longer test for approval.

Thanks again. I’m a total beginner but have wanted to do this for years and now I actually have some time :)

Cheers,
David