Volume Discrepancy - help please [SOLVED]

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
vvocelli

Post by vvocelli »

When recording in Audacity using Logitech headphones with a built in mic (I know, not the best, but I'm attempting to get more experience before buying up) the sound starts quieter and then jumps up. Please listen here:

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_vvocelli.mp3

This 1 minute test was approved - meaning my settings are fine, but I can't figure out why the sound ticks up after a few seconds. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Valentina
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

The increase in volume is so steady that I would almost swear the Fade In effect was used.
ej400

Post by ej400 »

vvocelli wrote: March 16th, 2020, 5:45 am This 1 minute test was approved - meaning my settings are fine, but I can't figure out why the sound ticks up after a few seconds. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Valentina
Sounds like it has a maximum. Once it reaches a certain point does it just not increase anymore? Is so, then before recording maybe have like a warmup? But then again if you are planning to record in dramatic works, this could be difficult to manage...
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Weird.

If you can't figure it out, and if it's consistently taking about 4 seconds to "warm up", perhaps you could press Record then wait 5-6 seconds before you start getting into the actual recording. Then when you edit, snip out the unneeded few seconds at the front of the audio. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

As Kevin says it does also sound to me like the fade in effect. Are you sure this has not been enabled?

Does it not happen if you wait five or six seconds? Or you could just hum at a set level and see if it does it for the firdt 5 seconds.

It could also be a faulty mic. Have you another mic to borrow or use and see if it still happens? The other possibility is the interface.

Check if on a PC (i.e. Microsoft) that you have nothing set in the relevant options that makes the recording increase in volume of a number of seconds. (I'm no longer a PC user so can't remember the relevant options in the operating system).
vvocelli

Post by vvocelli »

Thank you for all the help! I honestly couldn't figure it out. I think it's an "old" computer/slow processor problem. I switched to a newer laptop and no issues at all.
vvocelli

Post by vvocelli »

ok, so actually. I submitted a read for PL and the PL said that the volume issue was still happening. Is this a product of settings? I'm sitting extremely still and not moving while recording. The only edits I do to the file is noise reduction. I'm using a PC now - can't figure it out!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

vvocelli wrote: March 20th, 2020, 7:11 am ok, so actually. I submitted a read for PL and the PL said that the volume issue was still happening. Is this a product of settings? I'm sitting extremely still and not moving while recording. The only edits I do to the file is noise reduction. I'm using a PC now - can't figure it out!
I sneaked a listen to your recording and I see that the overall volume is too low. I'm no expert in Audacity, but I think you could use the Compressor effect first and then amplify freely. Perhaps you should post another thread as this one has been marked as solved and folks might ignore it because of this.

Others will be able to help, I'm sure.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

(Got rid of the "solved" tag.)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
vvocelli

Post by vvocelli »

Thanks for the ideas and as I'm new to Audacity, I don't know much about the settings. When I record demo samples so I can make sure the volume is loud enough, it seems fine, So I still don't understand why it goes in and out for a duration of a read.

Tricia, Thanks for removing the "Solved" tag.
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

Is it still a sort of fade up from start of recording? What happens if you wait after pressing record for some seconds?
vvocelli

Post by vvocelli »

yes, even after letting it come up in volume for a few seconds at the beginning, it goes in and out volume wise. I have no idea why.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

vvocelli wrote: March 20th, 2020, 5:34 pm yes, even after letting it come up in volume for a few seconds at the beginning, it goes in and out volume wise. I have no idea why.
Do you have a radio nearby that could be recorded for a minute or two, being careful not to move it? I'd like to see that recording's 'wave signature' on Audacity.
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

It could still be the mic or the interface. Can you try another mic?
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Two thoughts. First, Peter, it's a mic/interface in one, so if Valentina changes one, the other will have to be different as well. Also, because of that, it is likely due to some kind of "auto-level" or "auto-gain" or something like that; the driver adjusts the output according to its own "idea" of what the output should be. Valentina, if you can find something similar to "auto-gain control" or "AGC" or "auto-level" in the properties of your device, try turning it OFF.

Second, Valentina, if you can find (and settle into) the constant speaking pattern (and constancy is king here), then even with the adjustment happening in the driver, you ought to be able to record a relatively constant level, which, after measuring with ReplayGain plug-in or with Checker, you will be able to adjust to the required by LV volume. Compressor effect does help to do just that, to make it more consistent between parts of the track.

And, unfortunately, if you cannot correct (or adjust to) the behaviour of your recording equipment, changing equipment to something that can be adjusted is your only option.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please