VOLUNTEER READER

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
RIOBRAVO1959

Post by RIOBRAVO1959 » March 15th, 2020, 6:08 am

After recently listening to a couple of the audio recordings on Librivox, I decided to register as I am enthusiastic in becoming a potential volunteer reader in the possible future.

I have some experience, as for 3 years I used to produce and present a couple of late night radio shows on a local station in Edinburgh.
I was also recently requested to provide the voice over for Revenue Scotland's (part of the Scottish Government) Youtube video illustrating on how to complete property tax returns.
So my recorded voice is currently available on the internet already.

However, 4 years ago I wrote and had published my very own book "You Can't Do That! This Is The BBC!", a nostalgically humorous look back at my 28 years as a former employee of the broadcasting corporation.
Since I own the copyright, would it be possible for me to make an audio version of the book?

If not, I would be more than happy to volunteer my services in reading books for Librivox, if required?

Many thanks

Kind regards

Lawrence Lettice

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » March 15th, 2020, 10:42 am

Welcome! Sounds like you're more than qualified to record for us, even if our bar were in any degree high. 8-)

Unfortunately, we only record books that have no copyright because we release our recordings into the public domain. That means anyone can do anything they want with the recordings without our permission or knowledge. We don't want to venture into the task of policing the recordings once they're released. :)

Your "welcome" email gives a few links with info on how to get started, whether it be recording or proof-listening. Feel free to post any questions you may have, and have fun!
Mystery/PulpFic: Dope, by Sax Rohmer
The one that started them all: Self-Help, by Samuel Smiles
Elizabethan Poetry: The Psalmes of David
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5
Short essays: Elia, and The Last Essays of Elia

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » March 17th, 2020, 6:02 am

Tricia is correct in that we can't host an audio version of your own book here. But that's not to say that you can't record it and put it online somewhere else. You'll need to consider what kind of license you want to release it under, and whether you'll charge people to listen. If you're planning on a free creative commons recording, then archive.org is probably the easiest way to go.