Recording volume on Audacity

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
ptfleischman

Post by ptfleischman »

Setting the recording volume at 89 on Audacity produces work that still needs to be amplified. What number do you recommend setting it at?

Thanks,
Paul
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

89dB falls into the acceptable range. Did you run your recording's file through the Checker program? https://cgjennings.ca/projects/checker/
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Paul. There is really no way to set your recording volume at a specific number in Audacity. Not t hat I know of at least. What method are your using to do this?
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

The confusion comes from the re-use of the term "volume" or "level."

Audacity allows you to set up the "recording level" (which is some kind of ratio it uses to scale down or up the samples received from the device), and Checker (or ReplayGain plugin) show the resulting "Replay Gain volume (level)", which is the perceived loudness of the entire track, an integral characteristic. That characteristic is not available until something is recorded. It cannot be changed on the fly (unlike the "recording level/volume", which is an instantaneous adjustment), because it requires rather complex calculation.

For instance, if you set up "recording level" to 89% (not dB, mind you), and then let the mic gather room noise, you will still have very low "replay gain volume" because there is virtually nothing to replay. Checker will likely report the "volume" very low.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
ptfleischman

Post by ptfleischman »

I'd assumed that 89 on Audacity's "Recording volume" under the large Play/Stop/Record buttons meant 89 dB. Clearly, it doesn't. What setting there is recommended?

I just passed my test and haven't yet gotten around to Checker and Replay Gain--my next stops. Thanks.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

The recommended level on that scale depends on other factors, such as what is set as the input volume in your computer itself.

How low is the volume on your recordings? (OK, looking at your test thread, it looks like you needed about 9 dB more.) Maxing out the slider won't get you 9 more dB.

With your mic plugged in, go to the Windows control panel for recording devices. (On my Win7 computer, I right click the speaker icon in the system tray, then select Recording Devices. I don't recall how to do it in Win10.) Right click the microphone in the list, select Properties, then go to the Levels tab. Move that slider all the way up. If it is already, then if there's a Microphone Boost slider, move it up +10 dB.

Definitely use either ReplayGain or Checker (you don't necessarily need both). Or MP3Gain. Any of those are the best way to definitively determine your volume.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
BillTurns

Post by BillTurns »

ptfleischman wrote: March 4th, 2020, 10:00 pm Setting the recording volume at 89 on Audacity produces work that still needs to be amplified. What number do you recommend setting it at?

Thanks,
Paul
Not sure if this will be helpful, but this is how I have taken to make sure the audio is right on point:

My Raw audio is not as important as my finished product audio. So long as I have taken the steps to reduce verbal echo (I have space my boys think is a blanket fort), a decent USB mic ($20 on amazon), and the kids distracted on the other side of the house... I can simply read and clean up the audio after.

My Raw audio is at first replete with a low noise and very often lower than desired volume. This is not a bad thing. I first take care of the noise which takes about two sweeps of the noise reduction tool. I change the blue 'wave form' readout on Audacity to a DB readout from the drop-down menu in the setting area on the left side of the recording. Get a noise sample from a space with out talking, and process the noise sweep. The result still has some noise on the line but that is OK. I then find a spot with no speaking, and no 'stray' noises (pops, clicks, smacks, breathing, distant giggles) and use it for the noise sample, the do a second sweep.

The noise is now gone completely and all that remains are the 'stray' spikes on the line and the voice/breathing spikes. It is very easy then to remove the 'stray' noise spikes, as they are easy to see on the line.

Volume still low... not done yet.

I want the audio to sound like me, as I hear me... So I then lower the treb by about 2 dB and increase the bass about 7 dB. When this is applied, the volume of the track is increased slightly.. Which would be a problem if I were recording right at 89 dB.

The final step is to export to MP3 test file, and run it through the Checker program. It will likely fail, that's OK. Finding the Volume in the Information tab, and do this little math problem...

(Checker Volume - 89)(-1) = Amplify Change

Back in Audacity, use the Effect Amplify on my whole track and set the adjustment to equal the Amplify Change from above.
Exporting again, and using the Checker again, and now the output is right at or near 89 dB.

The rest of the editing process (cutting, splicing, replacing, etc.) I have taken to doing before adjusting the amplitude, I don't want some stray loud noise like a cough, sneeze, or random door slam to throw off the average.

Hope this helps.

Stay Awesome!

~Bill
Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn.
~Benjamin Franklin
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

ptfleischman wrote: March 5th, 2020, 8:19 pm I'd assumed that 89 on Audacity's "Recording volume" under the large Play/Stop/Record buttons meant 89 dB. Clearly, it doesn't. What setting there is recommended?

I just passed my test and haven't yet gotten around to Checker and Replay Gain--my next stops. Thanks.
There is a lot of confusion regarding % and dB. I record or adjust when rendering to approx - 4 dB on the level meter - (during render). That comes out in the Checker program at about 89%

Professional recordings are usually restricted to a maximum level of -3 dB as distortions happen if recordings go to -1db or -2dB (and especially at 0 dB). This is what is demanded on Audible.com and all other audiobook platforms. Music and in particular classical music CD's also record at -3dB or even quieter. Recordings sound cleaner and smoother if these rules are obeyed, and there is a move to record at even lower levels as digital does not require very loud recordings and unlike analogue the sounds are much better at even slightly lower levels. LV wants recording to be fairly loud as listeners often listen in noisy environments such as trains, busses and aeroplanes.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

That comes out in the Checker program at about 89%
You mean 89 dB, right? :lol:
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

Yes, sorry 88/89dB. With latest recording the Checker reading was 87.5dB so I might push my level meter readings up by 1 dB to -3dB.
ptfleischman

Post by ptfleischman »

Many thanks, all. Audacity's recording level might not be a measure of dB but it's worth adjusting, I've found. Getting it and the distance from the mic settled can result in recordings that come in right around 89 dB. :D

~Paul
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

If my experience is similar to what others go through, judging by where I ended up you will likely come around to amplifying in post-processing instead of fixing your levels in Audacity and sticking to a particular [same] distance from the mic. An inch closer, an inch farther, will make your levels go up and down. And don't forget that, if you want to "shout", you should move away a bit, and if you want to "whisper", you come closer... Any pre-chosen distance flies out the window.

Try to be consistent for a single track, export it after editing, measure the volume, calculate the adjustment, amplify, save, re-export - and you're all set. Yes, exporting twice usually means you will wait a bit more for the result. And you know what? While it's exporting, you can do other things... :)

Happy recording!
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
Planish

Post by Planish »

First of all, it's been 8 years since I've been here, so I'm not up to speed about the "Checker" application, and have not downloaded it.
Even so, I have to ask ... if it reports a "level of 89 dB", then what is the reference level?

The only useful "dB" scale reference in digital recording is "dBfs", for "decibels with respect to full scale". That "full scale" level is "0 dBfs", as indicated by the Monitoring meters in Audacity. That's the default setting, but it's possible to change them to "Linear" by right-clicking on them and selecting "Options...". Beyond 0 dBfs is impossible without clipping, so all the levels are zero (which is maximum) or negative.

The Audacity "Recording Volume" and the "Playback Volume" are calibrated in a 0-1 decimal value ("Linear"). Effectively a percentage, if you mentally multiply by 100. Setting the Record Volume to any particular level does not mean that the recording will peak at that level or anything. It's just an approximate tweaking tool, but it may be useful to make a note of what Recording Level gives you good results with your mic and voice so that you can more easily repeat it in later sessions. Yelling or whispering will require that you change it.

Again, what is this "89 dB" level, and why is it a target?

[annoying animated gif removed by admin]
There is no frigate like a book / To take us lands away,
Nor any coursers like a page / Of prancing poetry.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

89 dB as measured by ReplayGain: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReplayGain

Why is that the target? Because that was the standard chosen when LV started. :)